Wednesday 5 September 2012

The Copy-Cat

Article by Quercus


What is one way to irritate a narcissist?

Pretend to enjoy doing the lowly menial chores which the narcissist has given you to do – it will make the narcissist think that he or she is missing out on something. 
 (original author unknown)


This classic joke made me laugh the first time I read it. It really resonates with me, because my NMother has begun to think that she's missing out on something I have. She never took any notice of me at all as a youngster - dismissed me, practically kicked me to the curb. Until one day, when she completely replicated my life.

I won't go into details at the risk of identifying her or me, but here's the short version: she started by dressing like me, wearing my clothes, and getting insanely bent out of shape when I wore her old castaway clothes that were used by us kids for 'dress-up'. She started taking more and more and more of my things - anything. Things that were birthday gifts, things I saved up and bought myself; big things, little things. The excuse always was, "I didn't think you used/wanted it anymore". I could have used it two days before, and this was still the facile excuse and implication - that I was the greedy one, hanging onto possessions I didn't have a use for.

I went to university, I graduated (and what a cold and resentful day my convocation was!). So she went back to university as well. I remember her wishing (out loud) that she went to my school instead so she could 'influence' my studies.

I moved away to the big city, and then so did she. In fact, she quit her rather impressive career and field of experience and transferred into my area of study (in which she has absolutely no experience or credentials). She tried to get a job at the very same department of the same institution I was now employed at (thankfully there was only an opening at the competition, which, somehow, she landed). Narcissists are impressive in interviews, aren't they? Lies, lies and more lies; spin-doctoring the truth. The only jobs she didn't get were those she was apparently deemed 'over-qualified' for.

She tried to get an apartment within blocks of mine, or even in my building - would I ask the landlord for her? (Thankfully, another divine blessing no doubt, not a single suitable apartment was available. So she lives just down the road instead). After she got an apartment, she insisted I stop by all the time (and like the sucker I was, craving that love I never got, I complied. Of course it was the same old song and dance in the end - I was hurt, she was happy). And after awhile, she got an even bigger and better apartment, which she, naturally, compared to my dingy little hovel. (I like my hovel).

Next, my EFather started to petition me to move in with her. Me, a grown adult. With her; the woman who spent my whole life barring me from coming inside the house, insisting I go and live with my grandparents, and refusing me access to the upstairs while she was still 'unwinding and relaxing' from work in the afternoons and early evening (and during dinner). The woman who took a family vacation with everyone but me. The wicked, jealous, resentful woman wanted me, her competition, to move in with her. Only of course she couldn't ask - it had to come through the proper channel (i.e. my sock-puppet of a father).

She tried to hang out with all my friends. She connected with my childhood friends via Facebook (I got some weird messages: "Uh, your *mom* wants me to meet her for coffee Monday? WTF?"). She took up recreational activities that I had enjoyed. She did absolutely everything, everything, like me. Same salon. Same stylist. Same favourite shoe company. Same restaurants, events, concerts, parties (and somehow it was always 'their' idea first! Despite blatant evidence to the contrary! Like when I bought them the tickets, or gave them the address a week before!). Same music, same favourite band, same favourite shops. Same everything. Probably even the same man, if he was susceptible to that sort of b.s. (I was blessed with the world's best husband! So thankful!).

Every time I went anywhere with her, it was the same sort of garbage. I'd be telling her about something I thought was important (i.e. trying desperately to establish a relationship with her), and she'd have this revolting half-smile and be turned to one side, then the next, watching who was watching us. She never heard a word I said, ever. "Oh, he's checking you out! The waiter was checking you out!". I never knew what to say. Sometimes I'd make a joke about it; "So? He's got eyes, hasn't he?!". But mostly I'd say something like "He might have just been checking to see if we needed our glasses refilled. He was carrying a pitcher after all." It didn't seem to matter what I said. I didn't ever figure out what I was supposed to say in those situations.

She'd be continuously scouting for men looking our way. I wonder if she does that when she's alone? I don't know what possesses her to have to tell me every single time some poor unsuspecting young man glances my way for a nanosecond. I look at people all the time as I walk by! I'm not appraising them or sizing them up for suitability! Usually I'm thinking about something completely unrelated ("Did I floss this morning? I can't remember."). Single, engaged, married - it didn't matter what my status was. She still watched for guys watching us.

Every thing I had in my life my mother was entitled to. In fact, in her mind, she's entitled to me. All of me. Never mind that I'm married and completely separate from her now - I belong to her. All my happiness, all my success, all my friends, my images on Facebook - it should be her in my place. So she replicates, she takes and she builds a facsimile of me. And whenever I spent time with her, she'd be looking, watching, trying to soak up the 'experience' of being me (including accusing poor innocent passersby of being sexually attracted to me!). This I find very creepy indeed. Why does she do that?!

And then the weirdest thing of all - she out-does me at being 'me'. I used to get phone calls, text messages, Facebook messages, etc., telling me all about this fabulous bar or that cool restaurant or the awesome outdoor music festival (for 19-25 year olds . . . I'm just saying . . .) that she went to because she's "cooler" than me. She has 5 fashionable accessories to every 1 have. If I buy a knock-off, she buys the real one. And another. And a third in a slightly different style. And in the end it was always, somehow, her idea that I copied. I once accused her of copying me in front my EFather, who interjected, "You're jealous of your mother?!" as loud as humanly possible. "No! No, she's copying me! She's envious of me! I can't handle this anymore!" But it was too late! "Clearly you're jealous of your own mother! Ha ha ha!" the sing-song laughter continued. The conversation had done a 180 and kicked into high-gear again. I couldn't turn it around. I now had a smug mom and a proud dad laughing gleefully at me for 'being jealous of my own mother'.

I think I got nasty then and listed a million things about her I wouldn't want. I can't quite remember; a red haze of rage descended on me at that point. It was the beginning of the end of our relationship as they knew it.

I could go on and on forever. I won't even touch my wedding in this post! You can just about imagine the debacle I would have had with her! But the kicker is this: I got married, she tried to conceive. She's in her late 50s. She had her tubes tied in the mid-80s. And now she's trying to get pregnant?!

I guess if I have the opportunity of just starting out on a life and a family, then she should, too. The fact that she's done all of that already doesn't seem to phase her.

My only move - low contact (headed for 'no contact'; it seems more and more inevitable by the day). If she doesn't know what I have, she can't try to take it or fake it. My existence has been, for now, reclaimed. I am me. She is she.


7 comments:

  1. My mother isn't quite that bad, but I do see the same pattern with my NM. At my first wedding, she wore a white dress! It actually didn't really bother me, but I did think it was odd. She also does the "what men are looking at you". I think part of that is since we are merely extensions of herself, what she's really saying is "what men are looking at ME". I always had to look perfect when we were out together. As a child, I'm trying to learn to be myself, grow up and be happy and confident with the way I look. Hard to do when every time you come downstairs your NM says "You're wearing THAT?" or "Would you like ME to do your hair for you?" or "I'm not going anywhere with you looking like THAT." When she looks at me, she doesn't see me, she sees herself.

    Another Scapegoat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! My NM insisted that I wear HER wedding dress at my wedding! She was going to wear a black dress to my wedding (I said, "Sure, sounds good." She said, "Uh, that's supposed to be REALLY bad luck to the bride if a guest wears black!", and I said, "I don't care - whatever you want." When it didn't upset me, she bought new dresses and wore a grotesquely expensive one in the end!).

    Thanks so much for sharing, Anon! :) I'm sorry you have the same experiences. It's good to know I'm not alone, though. The only real difference is that my NM preferred it if I looked ugly when we went out. She never once did my hair as a child. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Oh, incidentally I didn't actually wear her dress at my wedding. I royally rebelled on that front!)

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My NM doesn't copy me. She does like to think of me as her "mini-me", something I hate. She takes credit for any and all good choices I make. But she would never reduce herself to liking what I like. In fact, she purposely chooses to NOT like things I like. (And side note, my mother also never listens to me either. She's always checking out others, eavesdropping on conversations, or finding something more "entertaining" to do than listen to me.

    My NMIL, on the other hand, acts like I've written a "how-to" manual on life for her. It drives me insane. She's always scoping me, my home, my life like I'm some sort of magazine article to peruse. She also, has taken up hairstyles, activities, and life-moves (remodeling projects, travel trips). She even started to decorate for Halloween, a holiday she thought was evil when we met. I love Halloween, and have always gone all out. Now, all of a sudden she's doing it too. And it's always wonderful when she brags to ME about her good ideas (ones she stole from me. Crazy making at it's best.)

    NMIL would almost have my sympathy, as it is so obvious she has NO sense of self. No identity. Nothing to call her own. She's like a little kid playing dress up. Trying on personalities. Trying to fit in. The thing is, she steam rolls over me in the process. She also feels entitled to all of me, and I'm not even her kid. Everything is communal property, even your personality, and it just feels icky to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good grief! They're all the same, aren't they? Minor differences, but as you said:

      - she brags to me about her good ideas (ones she stole from me)

      - feels entitled to all of me . . . everything is communal property

      In both instances, you don't really 'exist', do you? You're just a source of inspiration, ideas and possessions. That's the craziest crazy-making aspect to me; my identity is absorbed, reformed, stolen by her.

      The communal property is the one I find most galling; if it went both ways (i.e. you could help yourself to HER life!), I might actually have adapted to that lifestyle. But it's never the way; mine is mine; yours is mine, too!

      Delete
  5. Good for you for rebelling on wearing her dress. Eek! I don't what I would have done if my NM pulled that.

    It's interesting how different NM's display basically the same motivations, but with different means to the end. I think my NM's motive was to make her look good, but by my being a carbon copy, not by making sure I looked bad when we were out. I'm not sure if you look like your Mom at all, but I look alot like mine, so maybe that's why she wasn't happy unless I looked like her. ? Who really knows. All I know is the result: A child who was never good enough, who grew into an adult who was also never good enough, but didn't even know who she was. Eventually, I figured out who I am and figured out that I am good enough. I wouldn't go so far to say that I'm a confident person, yet, but it's a far cry from the insecurity I had felt about my self-worth, all my life.

    Great blog, it is very comforting to know that I'm not the only one. That is one of the lies N's use to gaslight, that we're alone in our experiences.

    - Another Scapegoat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey again A.S.!

      Yeah, I do look awfully similar to NMom. Unfortunately/fortunately I'm slightly more attractive (that sounds incredibly vain - but hear me out!); when people say, "Oh you look so much alike!" She jumps in with, "Oh, well, don't say that to her; she'll think it an insult!"

      Which always leaves me in a most awkward situation. I think the only reason I'm 'better looking' than her is that I don't have a perpetual scowl creasing my face, and my nose isn't tipped so high (I don't spend the majority of my time looking down on others)!

      For me, separation is the only way I can 'reclaim' my own identity. And it's driving her insane - she's also kind of like Jessie's NMIL, because my NMom needs to compete with me; if she doesn't know what I have/do, then how can she best me?

      Delete