Friday 14 September 2012

ACoN Support Personnel - an Essential Service

by Quercus

I have often pondered aloud with my shrink as to why I sought out therapy at this most inconvenient, stressful and busy time of my life. I've never been the most strategically minded, but I was beginning to wonder if my timing in sorting out all this NPD-FOO mess wasn't just catastrophically mistimed but actually deliberate - an act of self-sabotage, perhaps?

"You sought help now because you were finally in a position to do so. You consciously or unconsciously jumped at your first opportunity to address the issues. You were just waiting until you had the resources available, by which I mean the support of your husband and physical and financial independence from your parents." - my psychologist

Huh. Well done, my unconscious mind, leaping to my defense by enlisting help at the earliest opportunity! It's made the rest of my life a right mess, but I suppose there's no time in particular that would have been seen as convenient. So why put off 'til tomorrow what you can do today?

I guess I had been emotionally chomping at the bit, and when those gates opened to expose just a sliver of daylight, I was off to the races!

I couldn't have done it without my husband, though. (This is not going to devolve into some sort of sloppy, mushy poem about the love of my life, I promise!). The truth of the matter is that a caring friend could have helped me just as much. I think back on all of my close friends, though, and I see that none of them were either willing or able to help me out. Lack of will probably because of lack of intimacy - it's just hard to care that much about someone's comfort when you're not emotionally tied to it, I suppose. Sometimes a lack of will because as friends they are less than ideal (I don't think I can pick 'em - still have a bit of a blind spot for the horribly self-absorbed). And more often than not, the lack of the ability to help me out; I can think of one good friend who would have, but had so much of her own garbage to sort through that it made it practically impossible to extend a hand to me.

I've read blogs and comments by other ACoNs who were extremely fortunate enough to have a co-scapegoat sibling who are allies in their collective escape from the FOO. It strikes me that this set of circumstances is extraordinarily rare; most often, your poisonous parent has prevented bonding between siblings to better control you, or has pitted you against each other to compete for the parent's affection. My NM did both.

My youngest sibling and I have a weak but real relationship, though we are anything but 'close'. Using gender neutral terms to hide my identity from lurking NP's, the youngest isn't the golden child. The youngest also has felt the wrath of NM and EF, but is unwilling and/or unable to 'go there'. I sent them information on NPD, explained why I think NM has it (which didn't take much - she's textbook!), and they shrugged it off and said, "Yes, I see. I can't deal with this right now."

And so I count myself quite fortunate in that at least I can establish some dialogue. When the sh*t hits the fan and I am expunged from my FOO (hooray! Private party in my mind!), the youngest will remember the 'explanation' for such behaviour and can reach their own conclusion on the matter. If they go the ACoN route, I'll be glad for the company.

Apart from that one swing vote in my youngest sibling, everyone else is firmly trapped in the web of my FOO's pathology. Some have made a comfortable existence for themselves right in the thick of the spider silk, and I can't imagine them wanting to give up their power and influence to break free (even if it is ultimately in their own best interests).

I don't have any ACoN friends, unless you'll permit me to count yourself as a friend.

None of my in-the-flesh friends 'get it', not even close. I remember Anna Valerious (Narcissists Suck) in a Mother's Day themed post:

I don't blame the ignorant for their ignorance on this matter. In fact, there is something kind of innocent and sweet about them. They had a mother who truly loved them. How can they conceptualize a mother who is the complete inverse of good motherhood? What precedent could they use to pattern your mother after? Only fictional ones. Which is why they think these mothers only live in fiction. Therefore, you are making it up. Only the children who have witnessed the evil mother behind closed doors...the only place where her true evil was on full display...can attest to the existence of the soul-sucking mother who actually hates her children. Don't despise the innocent folk who were blessed with loving mothers. In fact, try to shelter these innocents from the truth of your mother. They are not equipped to handle what you know. Spare them when possible. Your mother is the stuff of nightmares. Don't foist those nightmares on the innocent if you can avoid doing so. - Anna Valerious, Narcissists Suck - Narcissist Mothers Suck

I quoted the whole paragraph (thanks Anna!) because it was such a good one. I think back to this every time I get frustrated that a friend has completely missed the point of an NPD or NM-centric conversation. "Try to shelter these innocents" is the phrase that echoes in my mind.

So I started this blog (this 'society') for myself and all the other ACoNs out there. I wanted to create a place where all the ACoNs could find each other. We're the only people who are going to understand what each other is going through, apart from a few loving, special people in our lives (I think of Jonsi, who is the lovely wife of an ACoN, and who has a terrific perspective on the subject as a result of being ever so slightly removed from it).

I hope that if you don't have anyone in your life who is committed to stand by you, to believe the incredulous-sounding stories you relate, and to 'go to bat' with you against the FOO when necessary, that you find the support you're needing here (that is, the internet as a whole) from fellow ACoNs. We'll cheer you on, we'll believe you, and we'll even be able to relate.

Don't underestimate the importance of 'ACoN Support Personnel' in your life. It might mean the difference between staying trapped in the web, or having the guts to start cutting free!

10 comments:

  1. Amen to that, Sister. If I get scared and pull up the anchor, I'll come over here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, great! You're welcome 'aboard' anytime, blog deleted or not! I really enjoyed your most recent post on staying courageous.

    I think if we looked at things from the non-ACoN perspective, we wouldn't fear 'them' - I mean really, what can they claim? That aspects of their life are being discussed in an unidentifying, anonymous manner on a blog somewhere? Can they prove that it's them we're actually talking about? And as your AWESOME all-in-red-letters disclaimer points out, would they WANT to prove that it's them who are being talked about?!

    I think we're just so used to being frightened by their perceived 'power' that their weak 'case', if you could even call it that, appears legit. It isn't, as far as I can tell.

    Then again, crazy is as crazy does. If some awful NP crawls out of the woodwork with a legal case against an anonymous ACoN, I suspect that psychologists, therapists and fellow ACoNs are going to raise hell.

    Heck, I'd gladly write a statement of support for any ACoN caught up in that B.S.! We fight together against douchebags everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, you have to be an ACON to really understand what it is we grew up with and still deal with if we are in contact with our NP’s. My husband grew up in a pretty normal household, not perfect by any means, but not dysfunctional, either. His mom is the sweetest lady you could ever hope to meet and she was like that throughout his childhood. She and my H’s father also sacrificed a lot to provide an education to all 4 of their children, but you’ll never hear them say “After all I’ve done for you.”
    So, when we were first dating and I tried to tell him about my family and my NM, he thought I was “overly sensitive” and “exaggerating”. It’s true, I am very sensitive and we’d had a few arguments, while working out our individual boundaries in our relationship. He wasn’t trying to be hurtful, in saying those things to me, he had met my family and just couldn’t see it. I didn’t take it personally; he just didn’t know. Plus, my NM had been on her best behavior since the time I’d first cut contact with her, several years before, due to a N rage incident over something really stupid.
    Well, he found out, soon enough. You’ll probably think I’m nuts (maybe I am in this respect) but we went on a family vacation with my parents and siblings. We kept refusing, since we couldn’t afford it and so they offered to pay for pretty much the entire family to go to a fabulous destination (none of my siblings could afford it either). Almost impossible to say no to, but of course, now I wish I had.
    On the last day, my parents ambushed us over all the perceived slights we had done to them over the course of the vacation. My mother went into full on N rage mode. For 3 hours! My H (then fiancé) tried to smooth things over, not realizing that wouldn’t work. They didn’t want an apology, they wanted us to suffer. They tried to convince him that I was crazy and unstable and always had been. “We know her better than you do”. WTH? I’m 39 years old, and I’ve lived with my fiancé for 3 years at that point, I think he’d know if I was unstable. Anyway, I heard him apologize about the situation (I had gone to the other room, I was so angry) and I came out and told him not to bother, that I knew it wouldn’t make any difference. I looked straight at my NM and told her that we would pay them both back for the trip and when we returned home, I never wanted to talk to them again, that was it, I’m done. It was (and is) the last straw. My NM, faced with the consequences, eventually “apologized” and said we didn’t have to pay them back, you’re my daughter, I love you, yadda, yadda, yadda.
    We returned home, parents and siblings still barely speaking to us (siblings? I have no idea why, they weren’t involved in the explosion). I cried all the way home.
    When my fiancé and I talked about the situation later, he turned to me and said, “I’ll NEVER tell you you’re “overly sensitive” ever again, and I’m sorry I ever said that to you. I had no idea, that anyone could be that way, especially to their own daughter.”
    Anyway, didn’t mean to write a book (and I could have written so much more about that so-called vacation) but non-ACONS just don’t know, unless they see it. To those blessed with average parents, it’s unfathomable. I’m so glad for blogs like this, I too, don’t have any fellow ACONs as face to face friends, so there is no one that understands quite like you all do.

    - Another Scapegoat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHOA!

      Okay, for the record, my husband and I both understood how you could, in the situation at the time, consent to going on a family vacation. Now of course you wouldn't! If you went on a future vacation with the FOO, I'd be concerned about you! But at the time, you had a fiance who kindly gave your parents the benefit of the doubt, and as an ACoN you probably just really hoped that you could have a nice time with your family for once. (And I know that having an 'outsider' like a fiance join the melee usually results in everyone acting their best, even the monsters. It doesn't last forever, though!).

      I'm really sorry to hear about this! What a nightmare!

      I'm going to remember this and never, ever, ever consent to go on any trip with the NM & EF, even if I thought they had changed! Thanks for the cautionary tale!

      You have my sympathy! I think you owe yourselves another vacation as a result of that 'vacation'!

      Delete
    2. (That initial "WHOA!" was regarding content, not length! Happy to host comments big and small). Thanks again for sharing - yikes, yikes, yikes!

      Delete
    3. My NF dropped his mask after my fiance won a game of cards (euchre)! He went ape-shit and called him a cheat. I'd told my fiance about these rages but the NPs had managed to maintain the facade in front of him for years.

      The mask slipped because we had recently become engaged and, even though all my life the NPs had said I was too plain to every marry, blah, blah, blah, here was a man who loved me and was about to take away their personal slave. From then on, my NF openly hated him!

      That's why my NM said, "Good" the day my DH died!

      Anyway, once we became engaged, DH was fair game because he became "family". Respect and kindness are reserved for outsiders!

      Delete
    4. No worries, I figured the WHOA! was about the content (although I did get quite lengthy, and could have gone on for pages, quite frankly). LOL. Thanks for posting such a long tale. I'm glad if my story serves as a reminder when ACON's are tempted to trust their NP's in a similar situation. Don't do it! I learned my lesson. However, I'm also thankful for the experience in that my Husband saw exactly how fast NM can go from "sweet" to "monster". He's the only thing keeping me from going NC after that. He feels we should maintain a cautious LC with them. He's a man of good boundaries!

      -Another Scapegoat

      Delete
    5. Hey AS - I think Mulderfan has hit the nail right on the head; it's only a matter of time before your husband gets fed up.

      And in my experience, people who have had normal parents have even less tolerance for the NPD-B.S. than we do. Once your parents have a narc-rage moment at his expense, or start blaming him for turning you against them, or start telling everyone he's abusive of you and controlling (projection, anyone?), then I'm pretty sure your husband is going to be in favour of NC, too!

      Delete
  4. My younger brother was totally on board when I 1st discovered the diagnosis/explanation for our parents' bizarre behaviour. When I started to pull away, set boundaries and refuse to be the family "go-to"/doormat he turned on me with both barrels and revealed HIMSELF in all his narc glory.

    Why does he now blame me for his addiction related illnesses and accuse me of abusing my parents? Easy answer...now he's their "go-to" and he doesn't like it, which is too fucking bad! I figure it's his turn and, besides, payback's a bitch!

    BTW I must have super powers I'm not aware of, if I can abuse people or make them sick without having any kind of contact with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no. I'm really sorry to hear that - like you needed another family member blaming you for their problems. That one must've stung.

      Well, I'll consider myself warned! This is a real possibility, isn't it? It's a tough place to be in the position of 'scapegoat' - it makes heroes and villains of us all!

      (Well done fellow heroes!).

      Delete