Monday 1 October 2012

A Gift from a friend - "JADE"

by Quercus, via Kara, via Dee, from whomever first coined the term

JADE is an acronym for four things one must never engage in during a conversation (most likely an argument) with a narcissistically-disordered person.

 is for "Justify". Justifying our actions, our boundaries, our decisions will not bring us any good. All the information given to the Narcissist during our kind and generous attempts to justify our standpoints will be catalogued in their minds for future use. Factoids none of us would think important will be spin-doctored into weapons to be used against us.
Perhaps worst of all, justification is really an appeal to them. We're appealing to them for their understanding, which, as we all know, they'll gleefully deny us! Justification makes us look weak, not thoughtful and open. Just weak. And weakness is something the Narcissist loves to exploit. "Because I said so" might seem like a rotten thing to say, but it's really your only option other than silence. Don't justify anything - your decisions are yours. You don't need to show your paper-trail. The decision is final.

is for "Argue". I'm not sure if Narcissists qualify automatically as the world's best debaters (in fact, I'm sure they'd almost all get chucked out of formal debates for over-stepping the bounds and going straight into personal attacks!), but I challenge you to think of a Malignant Narcissist who wasn't argumentative . . . and good at it.
As for the Narcissists in my family, I know I can't beat them at an argument. At least, even when I think I've really hammered a point home eloquently and brilliantly (and I'm waiting for the resounding applause from the imaginary courtroom of supporters to echo loudly in my ears!), I find that, somehow, my cunning bit of logic and air-tight reasoning has been circumvented. And typically it wasn't countered or disproved - it was mocked and ridiculed. You could be the world's greatest debater, you could even be a seasoned defense attorney and have rousing speeches flowing out of you like molasses in august, and you will 'lose' to the Narcissist. It's because 'they're never wrong', even when you can prove it. So don't argue.


is for "Defend". Just like "Argue" above, you can construct such an air-tight case and deliver it, real tears and all, expecting their human heart to melt and their hard-line to waver, even ever so slightly, in response to your logical, honest case and your emotional plea. While this would probably work out as expected in the society of normal human beings, the Narcissist isn't a normal human being. They are closer to a monster, a psychopath (indeed, some of them are legitimately sociopathic!), than your average Joe. There's no point in making your case, there's no point in standing up for yourself and defending your cause in their presence - they'll jump all over you like kids in an inflatable bouncy castle! Start back-peddling, begin to reach a 'compromise', or react to a feeling of guilt, and they'll pounce. Your defensiveness is their gain; once you start making concessions or you panic and get 'defensive', they'll go in for the kill. Don't get defensive - let them accuse you of what they will. There's a reason the Bible calls Satan "The Accuser". Let the Divine defend you - just don't try it yourself!


is for "Explain". Are you starting to see a pattern here? Anytime you try to appeal to a Narcissist, you will lose. Monsters don't care if you're hurting (in fact, they like it!). They don't want to hear your case, they won't agree with it no matter what you say, and the more information you give them, the more ammunition they have to throw back in your face. And I wouldn't even say that - not all of their attacks are face-to-face: we're talking proximity mines, IED's, flying monkeys that serve (in this analogy) as 'suicide bombers'. All the ammo here will generally be harvested from your carefully-worded, thoughtful explanations. "I" statements, arguably the most useful conversation skill anyone could ever master, are completely lost on them. They don't care about anything, and your deliberate, thoughtful explanations to get them to understand and accept your position are only going to end up hurting you later in the form of figurative incendiary devices. They probably already know your position, so don't bother trying to explain it - they'll never, ever accept it, out of principle. Even if you're 100% right and they know it, they will not accept it. Save your breath and provide them no new ammunition in the war.


Dear ACoN friends - I started this blog thinking that I would help to centralize the resources for ACoNs searching for answers and understanding. I never thought my life and journey would end up being posted here for others to watch over (though I am infinitely grateful for the loving support and guidance I have received!).

I hope you will see from my (Quercus's) posts that I have not implemented "JADE"! Hopefully you will see the consequences of my actions (the post "Instant Denial" and the many wonderful and thoughtful comments on it illustrates well my missteps and the fall-out of those poor decisions).

I justify, I argue, I defend and I explain with my NParents. And I suffer for it!

With anyone else in any other situation "JADE" may not apply. But with Narcissists, it's a necessary tactic.

What options does enacting "JADE" leave you with? Not many. And that's no coincidence - Narcissists will exploit anyone and any circumstance. There is little interaction you can have with them that won't back-fire on you.

What you can do is:
  • remain silent
  • use strong body language (watch that they don't become violent, though - putting my chin up and crossing my arms always bought me a smack or two as a kid! Remember - never sit while they stand. Always be on their 'level' or a little higher, if possible. It 'gives you a leg up' psychologically and physically!)
  • use the "BROKEN RECORD" technique if you can't just leave
  • leave (walk away, shut the door, hang up the phone, ignore the email, close the text thread, etc.)

The Broken Record technique is simply 'repetition'. It's a SUPER annoying thing to do to someone (it will piss them off, no matter who you pull it on, so be wise about its use!). Say no, then continue to repeat, "I said no. That's enough of an answer." to whatever they say (this includes when they insult you, guilt you into an explanation, attack you to try to put you on the defensive, pretend that they want to 'understand' what's in your head, etc.). Repetition, just straight-up repetition of "No." You can't argue against "No" for very long!

It's not impossible for the Narcissist to work out the 'explanation' for your behaviour for themselves! It is very possible, actually, with just a little thought on their part. And chances are that you've been giving explanations and justifications for a lifetime already - they already have all the information necessary with which to construct a plausible motive for your current actions!

Why are they demanding an explanation from you, then? Control. That's all it is. They want to refute everything you say. They want to get you on the defensive.

They aren't asking you for information because there's a lack of it. (I forget this all the time!).

The best option, always, is to simply walk away, close the door, hang up the phone.

One word - "No."

"No." is a complete sentence. If you don't believe me, write it in Microsoft Word. There won't be a green squiggly grammar-warning line underneath it!

A very big thank you to Kara for teaching me about "JADE". Let's see if I can actually successfully implement this strategy!

As Anna Valerious's blog says, "No life is ever a complete failure; it can always serve as a bad example." She uses it in the context of a Narcissistic life, but I could as easily apply it to my own.

I hope everyone reading can learn from my mistakes and avoid them for themselves. I believe this is the hope of any ACoN with a blog. But we all have to make mistakes to learn. I just hope you can avoid some of the bigger ones - remember JADE!

Best of luck in your next 'confrontation', dear ACoN! Remember - we're all in this together!

QG

20 comments:

  1. QG, I learned from my own mistakes. I marveled when my counselor told me that "No." is a complete sentence. With practice, I am getting better at using it. Interesting thing is that people other than Narcs, sharing the thought behind no can strengthen the relationship. This explanation of JADE is great and a nice acronym to remember. thanks,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, isn't it odd that an explanation and justification of your point would strengthen an ordinary relationship?! N's are SO backwards sometimes! :-)

      Delete
  2. I have this in the side bar of my blog. When I used to waiver I read it often!

    "This is my daily affirmation: You cannot reason with these people or appeal to them either emotionally or intellectually. Passivity makes you a target, aggression delights them, and assertiveness is met with contempt. Time to face the fact that, regardless of your best efforts, these people will not change…EVER!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it! A daily affirmation for an ACoN - what a good idea!

      Delete
  3. Kudos to everything about this post.


    Just gotta "love", however, on the flip side, how egocentric/narcissistic people

    will

    justify
    argue
    defend
    and explain

    immediately after you've told them that something they've said or done has truly upset you?

    ANYTHING but "I'm sorry",

    because they're not.

    They "take care of number one", they do.

    (I think everyone does this sometimes, but I'm talking about the serial folks here.. I also believe that "explaining" can have its place, after you've first shown your loved-one an appropriate empathic response to their feelings.)

    That's what JADE immediately makes me think of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just sharing with Kara a few text messages between me and my NF (promoted from EF.....!) - so many OBVIOUS places in which to say, at the very least, "Oops, sorry about that!". Not an apology in sight.

      Weirder and weirder - when I told him that his stopping by my workplace unexpectedly was "a violation of my personal space!" he replied with "I was in the neighbourhood already, wasn't much out of my way"!

      Convenience? Really?! He wanted to assert that it was 'no trouble' for him to 'stop by' when I just reamed him out for showing up at my workplace?!

      I realise there are head games being played here, but I can't HONESTLY help but wonder if something's really, really warped in his own brain instead! I don't think he's clever enough to have constructed a convoluted, mind-wrecking response (not the brightest crayon in the box, my NF...). So is this really what came to mind? Yeesh - amazing things going on in his perception of 'reality'!

      Delete
    2. Suggestion. If you gave the same information to a 4 year old how would they respond? I noticed that empathy for how I feel is totally missing from interactions with NM. His answer was how his behavior effected him not you. I am glad my parents do not stop by my work.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, that was a pisser: it "wasn't much out of his way". What an off response. I think the "warp" is in the empathy gap. Also, he couldn't address your feelings because to do that would mean that he did something wrong-- and we know that's just not tolerable in the N head.

      It took me decades of misery in my relationship with my raging narcissister to realize that she had never ONCE apologized to me for anything. Hell, she never even ACKNOWLEDGED any of her behaviors, and most of them were egregious. It took so long for me to realize this because I wasn't the Apology Police, I wasn't expecting apologies-- all I wanted back then was for the vicious verbal attacks to stop.

      ..and there I was, the entire time, saying "Sorry for this, sorry for that".

      Miserable and suffering from PTSD, I began to read and learn about narcissism. Then, BAM-- that no-apology realization hit me. I though back really hard just to make sure, and, yup, it was true, all right. Everything began to come together for me and I understood why I was feeling so sick and chaotic.

      Yeah, fun stuff.

      Delete
    4. Good points, Ruth and SCW!

      Thanks for pointing out the "can't address your feelings because to do that would mean he did something wrong" bit, SCW - I honestly never thought of it this way.

      The thing that I find hard to wrap my head around is the inability to apologise! You, I, and all the other ACoNs get so much practice at it, we're experts at saying sorry! I used to get teased and teased by a boss of mine for always apologising for everything - I hadn't noticed my chronic apologies before that.

      But seriously - couldn't they just say sorry and not mean it? N's lie all the time, couldn't they lie politely and say 'sorry'?!

      (I realise this is a rhetorical question. It just bothers me on a logic front! They lie left, right, and centre (pardon my Cdn spelling!), but they can't 'fake' a simple apology here or there? Wouldn't it be socially beneficial for them to hone that skill?).

      Also - we know N's can master the NON-apology ("I'm sorry, BUT...."), and yet he can't see how even a terse and contrite pseudo-apology here would have left him in better stead?

      (I'm really just thinking out loud!). So weird, all of them. Really, really bizarre people, these N's!

      Delete
    5. "But seriously - couldn't they just say sorry and not mean it? N's lie all the time, couldn't they lie politely and say 'sorry'?!"

      Oh, my GOD, I LOVE YOU!!!!!
      I spent about two or three years in this mode, not really sure how long..
      in my "denial" phase: I just wished that NM would AT LEAST ACT like she cared. I actually wanted her to "do right" in place of REALLY CARING. (I guess I really had her number but didn't want to realize it.)

      WOW, f*cking WOW!

      Quercus, please keep up the good work with this blog! It is snippets like this that will free other ACoNs. I know that you have said that you didn't intend this site to be a personal journal..

      but

      I thank you for ALL of your sharing. It really helps more hearts than you could ever imagine.

      Thank you so much!

      Delete
    6. Ha ha, my pleasure! I don't know that I'm wholly in denial - I see now that there's NO HOPE that they'll change - but I think I'm in "No-Contact Denial" still (not quite 100% ready to make the leap of faith!).

      If only they ACT nicely, put on a weak facade, pretend to be polite, then I can continue to entertain "Low-Contact".

      But we all know that's not going to happen! ;-) Hopefully this is the final leg of the "Low Contact" journey in my mind! I think more than half the battle is in the head of the ACoN!

      Delete

    7. and

      and
      ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

      Delete
    8. Hmm..."I don't know that I'm wholly in denial" is kinda like saying, "I'm only a little bit pregnant." You either are or you aren't!

      Sorry, kiddo, you are. Which is OK, because we've all been there, done that.

      Delete
  4. I had to learn how not to JADE from my husband's interactions with my NF. At first, I thought my husband was "weak" for not "standing up for our choices" or whatever - because he didn't argue back, just nodded with a smirk.

    But then I started observing my NF's facial expressions. Whenever I'd start arguing back, he'd get a little gloating smile - wow I can get an emotional reaction from her / (or, if I was "rational" and "unemotional") she cares about my opinion. He even let me win some of the arguments, because he'd already won at what was important.

    And then I watched NF as he nagged my husband about something we "should" do in our apartment, that we simply didn't want to do, but he kept insisting. My husband nodded at my father's arguments for a while, with a confident smile, and then said: "No, we're not gonna do that." MY FATHER WAS FURIOUS AND COMPLETELY THROWN OFF BALANCE. It took him several seconds to collect himself. There's nothing you can politely reply to this, so he SHUT UP.

    That's when I really and truly realized JADE is not what you do with narcissists - I'd known it before, in theory, but a demonstration goes a long way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That story made me smile! :-) Thanks for sharing a success story with the "JADE" technique! Man, I wish I had your husband's resolve - I love the "No, we're not gonna do that" with a confident smile!! Yes!

      Delete
  5. Loved the post Quercus! I think you've done a fantastic job. I think what SCW said about narcs doing that themselves is so true. They're forever talking you into their way of seeing things. I hadn't thought of it from that angle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be holding on to this for future reference, because shit has started hitting the fan with my narcissistic "best friend". One of our, correction- one of my friends called her out for her BS.

    The first thing she did of course was send me a message about it. So I imagine I'll be needing to remember this JADE stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. I've got a couple of friends who trend towards narcissism too. One of which I just plain cut out, the other of which I tolerate but usually have to take a step back from now and then.

      I'm curious - were you friends with the N before or after you learned about NPD? Both of mine were from 'before' - I think I had blinders on prior to learning about Narcissism.

      I might have to make that the next poll - "Do you have narcissistic friends as well?" (Yes, from before I learned about NPD; Yes, from after I knew about NPD; No, 'cause I cut them all out!; No, I've been lucky!). ;-)

      Delete
  7. I wonder how I heard in my mind the words from Terminator I:

    "Listen, and understand. That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead."

    Sounds familiar, oneone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we do sometimes wonder if they are actually human.

      Delete