Saturday 6 October 2012

Thankfulness

by Quercus

It's Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend. There are more things that I am thankful for than I can hope to express. I think that's true of anyone, actually - it's next to impossible for our minds to encompass all the positives in our lives. The negatives are what stand out.

In my last post (On Upside-down Charity), I got across much of the thought process I had in my mind, but I missed a few key thoughts somehow. I wish I could have better articulated one particular aspect, and so I'm going to try to do so bluntly here. I hope it comes out right:

The key difference, maybe the only one, between my NM and myself is that she turns her aggression and anger outwards, and I am mostly able to confine my own inwards, towards myself. I thereby keep my own ego in check - I'm seeing myself as clearly as I can (perhaps even unfavourably). She's looking at others, feeling insecure, and is attacking - there's nothing to keep her self-image to account.

I don't know why that's the case. Luck, maybe. God's hand at work in my life. I really couldn't say. I am blessed, in my mind, to not need to drag others down with me. This is not because of my own strength - this is really a blessing/fluke/sheer luck (depending on what you believe). I am introspective, not comparing. I don't feel nearly any envy of anyone in any position. This used to bother me - I thought it suggested weird repression or something. And who knows - it might!

If we can keep our attention focused on our own problems and fight to improve ourselves, we won't have the energy to focus on other people and tear them down.

Maybe the reason why people turn their aggression outwards was already pointed out by Caliban's Sister (comment on On Upside-down Charity) in Charity's life:

She's been struggling with meds, as had loss after loss after loss, feels severely guilty about her own son.

Guilt could do it. I believe that my NParents feel enormous guilt, too much for them to handle. Rather than address it (because they can't? Won't? Starting to lean towards can't!), they project it, on to me. I cause the feeling of guilt, ergo, I'm the problem. Flawed logic, but something I now believe they truly cling to. I think the guilt is too massive for them to deal with, so they stop looking 'inwards' and start looking 'outwards'. (Weird that 'self-centredness' in this context is a outward view!).

Maybe we're all just a set of too-difficult circumstances away from turning into what we despise. I suppose everyone has their breaking points.

So I remind myself, daily, to "let go and let God". I find this saying too cute, but it really is a useful mantra. I trust that my God, He who can do anything, can help me to manage something that is infinitely too much for me to bear but nothing at all to Him. He has a plan for me and for everyone and everything, and so if I am just honest with Him (and at the same time, myself), my shortcomings won't get the better of me.

"Humility" is a parallel thought here. If I can truly accept that I can't handle whatever crisis is upon me, but trust that He will sort it out, I don't have to panic and attack others. I don't have to drag them down with me to stop me from being alone in my pit of despair. I can rely upon God and just release that guilt. If I did something horribly wrong, I can confess it: I f*cked up, big time. It's more than I can fix. It's my fault, and I can't undo it - HELP!

"Letting go" is difficult, but if you don't do it, you risk getting swept away to 'the dark side' (cue 'The Empire Strikes Back' theme). Maybe it's Divine intervention that allows us to 'let go', or maybe the choice to let go is ours and ours alone. I don't have any of these answers. I have a lot of questions though. For example,
  • Why do bad things happen to good people?
  • Why can I avoid (so far!) becoming a malignant narcissist like my mother and her father before her? What is the difference(s)? (And I want the truth, not to simply hear what would flatter me).
  • What are our choices, and what is predetermined?
  • What do we actually have control over in our lives, if anything at all? Which is illusion, which is real?
  • What does "free will" extend to?
All these questions and more - it's easy to get caught up in them and fail to see the wonder and beauty and amazing gift that life is! In my suicidal thoughts, I fail to see anything but darkness. I am blind. When I'm not 'in the pit of despair', I can see more of my life and the world I live in. But I know I never see it all - there is an infinite number of things I take for granted.

Having a thankful heart is to have a happy heart - that has even been shown to be true scientifically (religious/spiritual people are more happy, and studies concluded it was gratitude that did it). If you'd like to up your 'happiness quotient', list five things at the end of each day that you are thankful for, big, small and trivial.

Here are my five things I'm thankful for today:
  • The Divine in my life, and the ability for Him to know me and vice versa.
  • The ACoN community - so many people on a similar scary path; so many lovely, interesting, strong people facing such adversity with grace and compassion for others!
  • Pumpkin pie (and having plenty to eat, something so few people experience).
  • My support network. Without them, I'd have no resistance to not slip into the dark side. It would be a little slip here, a nasty vengeful comment there, and I'd be sliding down a very slippery slope into a place no ACoN probably chooses to go (sociopaths aside).
  • Opportunities to learn and grow . . . which includes 'suffering'. It's hard to be thankful for suffering, but it probably is a necessary side-effect of personal growth (like growing pains in the knees of a teenager).
Thank you for being here for me, and for other ACoNs, too. Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

11 comments:

  1. Oops, I really meant to say that I am thankful that I don't feel the need to attack others. I can't take credit for this - I feel most blessed for not becoming what I hate. I am truly thankful for this blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make a positive post and all you hear are the crickets.
    ACoNs gonna ACoN.
    :P

    Just kiddng, of course! Maybe you have a ton of replies waiting in the inbox and you're still out on a fabulous weekend vacation! Happy CT to you, too!

    Let's see.. I'm thankful for my children!

    (Husband, hmm..)

    I'm thankful for books and reading.

    I'm thankful for good and cheesy TV shows and movies.

    I'm thankful for Fall Weather.

    I'm thankful my family is in the first-world, "financially struggling" category (and I'm not, too-- it's both at once, because it sucks going without some things, having the stress of debt, the inability to give my children certain things or go certain places, old car, no car.. but deep down I know it could be worse, like not having any food or healthcare at all, or being without water or utilities or gadgets like computers and phones). I can call police, fire, or ambulance services. I might even be able to call a taxicab here in bumblefuck, too, if the planets align just right. For crying out loud, I can order food to be delivered to my house. I think people take these things for granted. I'm thankful for them.



    You said, "..she turns her aggression and anger outwards, and I am mostly able to confine my own inwards, towards myself. I thereby keep my own ego in check - I'm seeing myself as clearly as I can (perhaps even unfavourably)."
    This is striking. I never looked at it in this way. If it's just the right amount and it works in this way for you, then I see your point. I just know that, for me, though, this process was too agressive, like an autoimmune disease. It may be why I HAVE an actual autoimmune disease, like you talked about in one of your previous posts.

    Going around taking the brunt of everything emotionally, psychologically.. well, I wish I WASN'T like this so much. I took it to a sickening level, literally. I'm definitely not thankful for that.

    The envy thing: me neither. I was never jealous of the Golden Child Narcissister's special bond with NM, never begrudged her of her worldly successes, never envious of how much she was protected and favored when NM played Silent Partner (and not so silent sometimes, too) to her abuses. Not even on the end when NM decided to campaign for and champion Narcissister while she should have been using the time to work on our own broken relationship between the two of us.. well, my pain always centered on just that: OUR relationship rift, mother and daughter, and the agony I felt from what she was choosing to do, or not do, with me. Even when they ganged up on me together, I never envied their bond or any aspect of either one of them.

    I'm thankful for that, too, because I need another ugly flaw like I need a hole in the head.

    Humility? Hmm.. how does one keep it while claiming to have it? Haha!! Whirrrrr.. zzzzzzz.. circuits malfunctioning.. unable to compute.. Zzewwwwwwwwwp. Bftpllftghh, click.

    About "Letting go" and "the dark side"..
    I've let go of the fight itself, for the relationships, and I've been NC for over three years.. but oh, yeah, I've got a little Vader in me. Problem is, I'm choking myself with the force. It seems like I let go for long periods but the thoughts come back. Little things NM said just pop right up into my head at random times. Then the existential questions. Then the gloom and doom. (Cue the Imperial March again.)

    I'm thankful for the amount of letting go I've managed to do so far.



    I'm very thankful for the ACoN Blogging Community, too.

    I'm thankful for the ONE extended family member that believes me, and believes in me.

    I'm thankful I can still find joys here and there.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh SCW! You rock! Still laughing about "Narcissister" and "choking myself with the Force"! YES! Ha ha ha ha!

      Also - it IS a luxury to order in food to be delivered to your house, isn't it?! :-D Never took the time to look at it that way, since pizza and Chinese aren't exactly haute cuisine... but it totally is a brilliant luxury! Thanks for giving me something else to be thankful for - love it! ;-)

      I think I blog, read other blogs, because I'm MAD. And I mean quite mad - so I understand why it's less likely that positive, lighthearted, just-for-fun posts don't typically get the audience that the uglier posts do.

      I think the uglier posts are like crack to us because we want so badly a way to EXPRESS that sh*t in our souls! And to read about it and relate - it's so therapeutic.

      But it's important to be thankful too, because it'll help us to be happier. And we all know ACoNs could use a dose of happy! ;-)

      Delete
  3. SWC,
    "Make a positive post and all you hear are the crickets.
    ACoNs gonna ACoN.
    :P"

    This made me laugh out loud. Thanks :) I think Quercus point is true. That "the uglier posts are like crack to us because we want so badly a way to EXPRESS that sh*t in our souls! And to read about it and relate - it's so therapeutic." Being heard and validated, it's just too much to resist, isn't it? I think is also part of processing, when we see a similar experience to our own in someone else's blog or comment it helps us to understand our own experience. The comments and feedback are particularly useful in that we learn different ways of dealing with the situations. We pick up tips and all sorts of useful tools.
    I agree that it's important to remember the things that we're thankful for. One thing shouldn't take from the other. The defining moment for me when I learned to be thankful was when I watched a news documentary about grandmothers is Africa that are looking after their HIV grandchildren because the parents are dead. The program was making the point that at a time when these grandmothers should have been looked after themselves, they were having to go out to find money to buy medicine for the grandchildren. Their stories were heartbreaking. One was particularly horrific. There was a grandmother who everyday would go to a rubbish dump in Nairobi to pick up discarded plastic bags so that she could sell them. This rubbish dump look like a scene from an apocalyptic movie, the reporter said that the stench was unbearable. Seeing this really changed me. Even with all that's going on with this recession we're nowhere near what this poor widow has to face every day. Knowing how bad it is in other places really puts things in perspective. Not that I had ever been much of a complainer before but every time I feel the temptation to utter a complaint, I get a nudge from my brain saying: you're not picking up plastic bags in a rubbish dump in Nairobi yet. And I shut up.

    What I am grateful for? Let's see:
    My supporting husband
    Living near the countryside: the trees turning red are stunning at the moment
    Sunsets (I'm never up early enough to see a sunrise :P )
    Lovely food (at the moment I 'm really grateful for fresh crab in particular)
    Books
    The Internet and the ACoN blogging community that have helped me to keep my sanity.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kara,

      We need more LOL! If I ever do an ACoN blog, I'll do a comic relief one where we can all ham and cheese it up! I'll put a stage/brick wall background on it. Every night will be Open Mic Night! :D

      Processing, yes, absolutely. Self-expression, relating, validation... ACoNs have lived in confusion and suppression without those things for far too long. We need to hash it out and hash it out again if that's what we're feeling. Even our dead horses' ghosts get beatings, if that's what it takes. It's an honest, therapeutic part of it, for sure. Reminds me of this:

      “The only way around is through.”
      Robert Frost.

      Delete
    2. SCW,
      A comic relief blog would be great!! You know how Nparents are so serious and have no sense of humour :P we could all do with more laughter in our lives. And you know how narcs provide so much material to laugh about. I think your blog would be a blast :)
      P.S. I love the Frost quote, thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  4. Crack..
    and SO much more!
    Enjoy:

    http://bit.ly/ReGv0f

    http://bit.ly/TfOBW6

    http://bit.ly/R6LgJ7

    http://bit.ly/SOKzcN

    http://bit.ly/WPMyfD

    http://bit.ly/QTUvxB

    http://bit.ly/TfR42P

    http://bit.ly/cPkKv3

    http://bit.ly/TuzbTe

    http://bit.ly/SLaBfi

    http://bit.ly/UGqCGp


    :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ThinkGeek rocks my world - they have a "Come to the Dark Side, We have Cookies" t-shirt!

      Delete
    2. Wowww, I just checked out that site. So funky, so cool, and there anything they don't have?

      Delete
    3. *is

      (there anything they don't have?)

      Delete