Sunday 23 September 2012

Baby Farm: I'm not here to supply you infants!

by Quercus

When I started The ACoN Society, I wanted to start something quite different than a personal blog. And yet here I am, with another angry self-centric rant!

I think it must be part of the ACoN experience to need to vent, to have your pain validated. So forgive me another "Me-Me-Me" post - hopefully it'll spur on an important discussion for everyone to benefit from!


I am NOT your Baby Farm

"You have certain expectations for your daughter," said my NM when she accused me of being a lesbian. For starters, this really hurt because I'm not gay and anyone who knew me at all would know that. My mother should have known this - how many times did I open up to her about man problems? Guys I liked? Issues regarding heterosexual sexuality?!

Her issues, it turns out, seem to have stemmed from her fear that if I were a lesbian, I wouldn't choose to have children of my own. Her callous comments also hurt because I sensed that I would have been loved by her even less were I a lesbian (could it be possible for her to love me any less?! Would I simply cease to have any intrinsic value whatsoever if I didn't reproduce? Is that all I am to her? A baby farm?!).

I wouldn't have kids so that they could grow to supply me with anything; raising a child is the whole reward! My children's choice to become parents in their own right would be completely, utterly, wholly their own decision (and a huge decision with major and far-reaching implications at that!). I wouldn't even offer my opinion on the subject of their starting a family unless it was explicitly asked for. I can't think of anything that could be considered less of my 'business'!

A major decision - a life-changing decision for you, your spouse, and the innocent you brought into the world without its express consent. This is not a decision to be made lightly. It's not one I'm going to get bullied into. It's the needs of the future child I'm concerned about, not me and my husband's, and certainly not my evil NM's wishes!

But if I were to view babies as commodities - things I was entitled to - then the decision-making process and the implications of having one will be relatively minor. In that instance, I'd care mainly about stretch marks and how my body would look post-baby. In the meanwhile, I'd have a cute little thing to dress up, breast feed, coddle and parade around in an expensive designer stroller. A thing to brag about. A prized possession. Something to make me feel a certain way - like a real woman or some such crap. And I'd have an excellent, captive source of narcissistic supply!

Here's the trouble - babies are people, even though many people seem to want to overlook that fact. They are the infantile stage of a human being - and one capable of having their own babies in just 12-14 years! 'Babies' grow up fast; 'babies' are a fleeting first phase in the life cycle of a person. Every 80 year old man shuffling along the sidewalk was a baby once. So was I. Everyone you see was once somebody's little 'bundle of joy'.

I don't know if it's the maternal instinct, or our society, that causes the baby-lust and objectification of people as goods, but "I'm having a baby" and "This is my baby" and all other such statements seem to belie the fact we collectively view 'babies' as objects or pets at best. Something warm and cute and cuddly; a possession. A toy.

What is essential is that we remember that any given infant - the screaming, pooping, laughing, crawling, nursing pile of cute - is, in fact, a latent adult. And babies don't stay 'cute' forever either - they quickly become belligerent toddlers, tots, tweens and teens. They are a person, with rights, value, hopes and dreams. The brain they have now will carry them forward for the rest of their lives. Same heart, same organs, same eyes. The memories they form, the beliefs they acquire, the personality they develop - it all starts when they are a baby, but it lasts a lifetime.

I don't think narcissists quite see babies as anything but 'babies' - something to use. Something for them to pick up, carry around, make faces at, talk about, keep them company, etc. How many articles have I read about narcissistic mothers where the NM preferred the child when they were small? Too many to count. Small and mirroring and easily manipulated - that's what NM's enjoy. Any older than that, and you're a unwanted burden. And I have REAL issues with this.

I don't doubt for a moment that I was born a commodity. I was the cause of stretch marks, unwanted hair growth, hormonal imbalances, an emergency caesarean, mastitis and post-partum depression (and this is just in the first few weeks of my life; my NM's own reflections of that time). I came at a great price - I was expected to perform and give unlimited love and validation to the owner of the surly uterus that gave rise to me.

I didn't have any choice in the matter; I was born because my parents intentionally left off the condom that night. I knew nothing - I came out completely helpless. It wasn't my fault that I was a week or more overdue, or that I slept through the full first night when "babies aren't supposed to do that". It wasn't my fault that I was female, either. Or that I had a giant head. Or that I got unbecomingly 'chunky' and was put on a diet in my first year of life!

And yet, somehow, I have been made to feel horrible for all these things. I was a source of immense worry and anxiety, a constant pooper, a 'real pig' with food. I was supposed to be different somehow, and yet, looking at this scenario through the lens of an adult, I don't think I would have constituted a particularly high-maintenance neonate! I wasn't 'special needs', I didn't have any health or feeding issues, and apparently I was quite the sleeper.

Why did they have me, exactly? What was the motivation there? To fill a yawning emptiness in my mother's soul*? To be the envy of their peers? To have someone to push around? Who knows - all I do know is that they've entirely missed the point of having children; they didn't seem to enjoy having to raise us when we were small, and we don't 'do enough' for them now.
*there's no excuse in my mind for her not seeking therapy prior to having me; I was planned.

Why did they have me, I will never know. But I know what's expected of me: grandchildren. NOW.

My NParents are always trying to catch me by surprise (the at-home or at-work 'pop-in'; happened as recently as last week!), and as far as we can tell it's for two reasons: to prove that they can decide when they see me (I don't get to tell them 'no'), and also to make sure I'm not pregnant without telling them (hence the straining to check my waistline!). They send flying monkeys over the internet to ask me if I'm expecting, and even this morning an old friend who may or may not have been in contact with my parents texted me out of the blue and without pretext to ask if I was "preggers", an expression I simply loathe. When I said I had no plans to do so in the near future, I got a sarcastic response hinting that this decision was undesirable or abnormal.

Here's the thing - my "view" of the sacred state of "Motherhood" is a dark one, mostly because of my experiences with my own mother. I read the book, "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood; though it's meant to be a futuristic thriller about a dystopian totalitarian society where rich old couples are assigned 'handmaids' to become surrogate mothers (the rare fertile women are captured and taken into captivity, their husbands and children torn away from them), I saw so many parallels to the NM in the 'wives'. You can read the plot synopsis on the hyperlinked Wikipedia article, but I recommend the book. It's a very creepy read, be forewarned.


I enjoyed this book because it so completely encapsulated my feelings on my own fertility; the old hag that owns me will have her own little 'birthing' party, fake labour pains, have people rally around her and congratulate her on becoming a (grand)mother! Meanwhile, ignored in the corner is the actual mother giving actual birth to a real live baby, her baby, which is taken away and given to someone else. The real mother is in essence a farm animal for breeding purposes. No rights, no compassion, no nothing. Used and abused. And used and abused to give rise to a child she can't protect. This inability to 'protect' my child from my NParents may even keep me from ever conceiving. I can't risk exposing an innocent baby (who is my precious God-given responsbility) to their toxicity.

I do want to have a family one day. I have actually always had a real soft spot for adoption, something my NM has criticized with hostility over the years (now I know why). Clearly, the sole reason my additional X chromosome has been tolerated is because one day I'd supply her with freshly laid, genetically-related offspring for her to manipulate. And that day has, according to them, come.

This is the single most frightening aspect to me about my parents. It isn't all the awful, verging-on-the-criminal things they've done to me, or the emotional abuse and neglect of the past and present, it's this. That they are somehow entitled to dictate what I do with my own internal organs! They are able to tell me what the remainder of my adult life should be! But worst of all, they are able to possess my children.

I don't know if anyone else has these issues/fears - it sounds like many of you already had children well before coming to grips with your parent's narcissism. Being on this side of the equation scares the living daylights out of me. It might even prevent me from having children outright, though my real friends have urged me to not allow my mother to take my fertility, too.

Any thoughts or comments? Is this just a concern of the engulfed-ACoN and not the ignored-ACoNs? I hope someone can relate to what I'm writing.

17 comments:

  1. My mother was horrified that I made her a grandmother. I then added insult to injury by moving them 1000 miles away. (Sometimes wished I had stayed that way.) I do know couples that move far away to keep grandparents at bay. I can tell you that you don't have to be like your mother. My counselor asked me how I raised my children, "What ever my mother did, I did the opposite." He was thoughtful for a minute then replied that in my case, that worked. I know there are other bloggers that I struggling with similar challenges. Hugs. Just like there are answers for me, there will be answers for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, lovely Ruth!!! It makes it easier to know that you and other people have moved far away to ward off the grandparents - I won't feel like such a weirdo when I pull that move!!! Hugs to you - thank you so much for this encouragement!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "people rally around her and congratulate her on becoming a (grand)mother! Meanwhile, ignored in the corner is the actual mother giving actual birth"

    I know what that's like! Before they came to visit, my mom even told me on the phone that they were only coming out to see the baby. I brushed her comment off as a joke, but when they came to visit, I saw the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

    She wasn't kidding.

    It was the longest week of my life.

    I wasn't able to see my N-family for what it really was until I was completely engulfed. Having a baby was the catalyst that changed everything for me. After my Nparents came to visit, my "Mama Bear" switch got turned on. I have a little innocent soul that I WILL protect at all costs.

    I decided that the dysfunctional family ties needed to end with me and my parents. This little ACoN jumped off the family tree and rolled far, far away. It's gotten a little complicated, and It's lonely, but it helps to know that (in time...) my own wounds will heal and my child will have a chance to grow into a healthy adult.

    I don't necessarily suggest that all ACoNs go no contact. I did what I had to do to save myself. For what it's worth, here is the order I wish I had done it in:

    1. Go no contact.
    2. Move far away.
    3. Then Have kids.

    Quercus, I was also petrified to become a mom. What if I turned into my mother? Instead, I resolve to not follow in her footsteps!

    I do the same thing as Ruth - sort of a spin on the golden rule. Rather than "Treat others how you wish to be treated", when it comes to raising my little one, it's "Treat them how you WISHED to be treated." I think of all the things my inner child is longing for, and make sure that history doesn't repeat itself.

    -Grey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this reply, Grey! Me and my DH are reading these responses together - your advice means so much to us! Our plans are exactly in the order you suggested - good to know it's not a bad plan! Thank you so very much for this!
      "Petrified to become a mom" is exactly my issue! Thank you for giving me hope!

      Delete
  4. Oh, QG, I feel for you SO much. This is such a hard thing and something that I struggled with before I decided to have a baby...and unfortunately, still struggle with today. I'm not going to sugar coat it. It's a rough road at times. And if you can get yourself distanced from them as much as possible before hand that will help.
    I have a couple other thoughts:
    First: it annoys me so much when people view children as commodities. And unfortunately, I think more people think of it this way than not. DH and I were talking just today about how many of our friends and relatives had children for reasons not related to wanting to raise a human being. They had kids because "everyone else was doing it" or because they thought it was the thing to do or because they were afraid they would loose their "place" in the family if they didn't have kids. They had kids for competitive reasons or, my personal favorite (read that with sarcasm) to provide THEIR parents with the beloved grandkids. Because they wanted to give that to their parents. Because they thought they OWED that to their parents. And now, these same people often complain about their kids and the burdens they bring. They pawn their kids off and live only for the times they can get away. They appear extremely unhappy with their kids and my heart aches for the babies.
    My own NMIL started bugging me for babies within months of getting married. I was young and had no desire to have babies at that time and I knew that DH and I had a lot of work to do before we had kids (I wasn't quite sure what work, but I knew that the families needed corralling.) She was insistant that DH and I have the first grandkid, not BIL and SIL, because she had a vision of how the family dynamics should be (and I think she wanted our kid to be the golden grandchild and was trying to cement that by having our kid come first.) One day she actually told me that the reason I needed to birth a baby was because ALL OF HER FRIENDS HAD GRANDKIDS. I was appalled to say the least. My own NM was having "age" issues at the time and was demanding I not make her a grandmother. It was oh, so much fun.
    When I did become pregnant (almost eight years later), it did not get easier. By this time NM had jumped on the give-me-a-grand kid bandwagon. It makes me sad how much of my pregnancies I spent with anxiety and worry over what the grandparents would demand. They both tried to take over, buying all of my kid's "first" things and trying to rip away all of the little things a new mom should experience (they also tried this with my wedding). When the kids came, it was like they grandmothers were on drugs. Everyone labeled them as "excited" but every once in awhile someone would say they were "obsessed". And they were. They were demanding and pushy. And upon giving birth, I was treated like the incubator instead of a human being would almost just died. The pushed and pushed and pushed.
    And it was this pushing and the rage that came boiling up in me as they kept trying to suck narc supply off of my kids that finally had be come to terms with all of this. I always felt like a mama bear around them, and I was always just one comment away from swiping their heads off. I'm working my damndest to protect my kids (mine are still very little). I refuse to allow them to treat my kids as an entitlement or something that is there for the grandparents entertainment. I'm not sure how much of my blog you've read, but their are a lot of posts I've written about dealing with this and I'd be glad to email you the titles if you need them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My comment was too big for one post, so I had to break it up. Here's the rest:

    That all being said, I agree with your friends: Don't let them decide what you will do with your body. Don't let the fear get you. I believe that, like me, that mama bear in you will come out and you won't let them devour your kids. If you have to move away, you will (I'm still considering that seriously). Don't let her rob you of living your life. I don't like to give advice, but you need to stop the pop-ins and flying monkey emails now. Ignore them. Don't answer the door. Brush them off when they stop by at work. Do not answer the messages from people that ask if you are "preggers" (how fricking rude, by the way). Pregnancy can be a difficult time as lots of people (even strangers) feel they have a right to invade your personal space and see you as some kind of object. Learn to set some boundaries now or it'll be hard (I learned the hard way). It will be hard. It might feel icky and guilt-inducing at first. But I know you can do it.
    Please feel free to email me if you want to discuss this more privately, or if you need help working through it when you do get pregnant. I know that pregnancy and becoming a mom really stirred up all kinds of feelings about narcissism. Not only the ones you mentioned, but others (what do I owe the grandparents? what to I do when people don't understand why i don't let the grandparents babysit? What do I with my feelings of loss because my kids don't have any "loving" grandparents?).
    Hang in there QG. You're asking all of the right questions. Hugs. Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, thank you, thank you, Jessie! So much love and hugs to you! I can't even say how much it means to me to have someone to talk to about this! :-) (sniff sniff - tearing up, DH patting knee!).
      Still at least 1.5 years off pregnancy (gotta high-tail it out of the country first!).
      Will probably send you a frantic email as soon as I go off the pill, ha ha! I missed your posts on the subject - thanks for the tip! Will scour your blog - sorry I missed them!!!
      Great big hugs!

      Delete
    2. Dear girl, don't apologize for not reading all my posts ;). I just wanted you to know they are out there for you. I know how extremely difficult this can be for an ACoN. Just another little psychic blow we have to work through.
      And you don't have to wait until you're pregnant to email! If you have questions or feelings leading up to that decision that you want to discuss, shoot me a line!

      And for what it's worth, I'm sorry you're struggling with this. It makes me sad (and made me sad in my own life) that even one of the most beautiful things you can do in life can be squashed into a commodity by a narc. Something to devour, eat whole, and use to boost up themselves. It's just so sick.

      Delete
  6. Jeeeezzz QG, NO ONE should be pushing you about this. Set a boundary for this and stick to it. Please! And I would hope that if you were pregnant you wouldn't tell them until you were far along enough that no stress they subject you to could compromise your health. BUT, frankly, no one should be asking you this question. It's no one's business but your own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Thanks C.S.! I thought so too, but virtually ALL (and I mean ALL save a very limited few!) of my friends and family have asked, repeatedly!!! I thought I was getting weird - I'm SO GLAD you think "WTF?! None of your beeswax!" too!
      Thanks for that validation - good to know I'm not off in left-field with my views on this!
      (It's a good litmus test of friendship, isn't it? Maybe I'll keep all the ones who didn't ask!). ;-)

      Delete
  7. I was told early on I was an "accident" and I made things worse by being a girl. My NM wanted a grandson, so I compounded my sins by giving birth to a girl.

    I think my NP's generation had kids because it was the thing to do. They still belittle my cousin because he and his wife chose not to have children, which apparently makes them "self-centered"! How's that for a laugh!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha - I did laugh! What a crock of ____!
      Geez, so much for 'girl power', eh? I think my NM was the same, but her generation was all about bra burning, so...?! Somehow the emancipation of women missed her entirely, I guess.

      Delete
  8. "I don't think narcissists quite see babies as anything but 'babies' - something to use. Something for them to pick up, carry around, make faces at, talk about, keep them company, etc. How many articles have I read about narcissistic mothers where the NM preferred the child when they were small?"

    My NM once made a statement to me, adult-to-adult, that is now chilling in hindsight. She described her younger sister, my Aunt (who is, in my opinion, most likely a histrionic personality but what the hell do I know), as being "good with the kids as long as they were babies" as opposed to how she has a problem with raising or relating to older children and teenagers, and how argumentative she is with just about anybody at any age. It's chilling because of this: I witnissed my own NM with both of my newborns. The sweet, feminine, motherly attributes were there as she held and rocked and sang to the newborns who were yet to become autonomous beings. I know now that it was a FAMILY TRAITition to abandon that motherly love as soon as the child has a mind of their own and becomes anything less than ideal. God forbid that child should be markedly different than the mother in either looks or personality-- THAT child is on their own, completely.

    That child was me.

    I AM thankful for the physical touch and nurturing I received as an infant, though. I mean, it could have been worse, right? I could be sociopathic/remorseless/completely unfeeling today, instead of having this cognizant life full of pain. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a nice point, SCW. I am also grateful for being loved as an infant. Too bad it didn't last much longer, though! But you're right - there's always a silver lining! Looking on the bright side, the biggest bright side being that my NM isn't going to prey on my kids at any age!

      Delete
    2. I'm glad you saw through the sarcasm, Quercus!

      When it comes down to it, I really AM glad that it wasn't worse, in my situation. I really DO think it worked out for me in the long run, given my NM's modus operandi.

      The driving force of my own motherhood is to serve. For that I am truly grateful. I could have become one of "them", but I feel so calm and satisfied being the supportive, behind-the-scenes mother. I see a difference between my core values and the "FAMILY TRAITition" of emotional abandonment of the newly-sprouting people that had the audacity to mature from being babies. I'm different to begin with, or else this whole estrangement thing between the Ns and myself wouldn't have even happened. This is not to say that I don't have to curb my hell-on-wheels tendencies. I have to be vigilant with myself every day. I'm totally on the right path, though. :)

      My biggest challenge, in fact, is to not ENGULF my children in unconscious overcompensation for what I was deprived of. I have to keep my involvement and interest and passion in check so that it doesn't trample over the boundaries.

      Oh, and I want to read that book, now, "The Handmaid's Tale".
      :D

      Delete
    3. My NM basically went from a loving, nurturing mother to slave-master and put down expert when I entered my teens. It somehow hurts more than NF, who was always a nasty SOB.

      Since I was so plain and unattractive, I doubt I could have been a threat to NM, who was (according to her) hotly pursued by every man she ever met and jealously guarded by NF. At 90, she still thinks she's hot!

      Delete
    4. Ha! Must be nice to have that kind of self-confidence! ;-)

      No, I agree that once being 'loved' is worse - it's the rejection because of "who you are" or have become that hurts so much. The vacuum caused by 'love' removed is probably more noticeable than love that was never there (otherwise you don't know what you're missing!).

      Delete