Thursday 29 November 2012

Welcome to Rock-Bottom!

by Quercus


This week's therapy appointment was hard on me. I am struggling through the crisis of a friend, one I've alluded to before, and it has used up all of the tiny amount of 'resilience' I still had left inside. I had another "psychic suicidal tsunami", only this time it wasn't triggered by happiness (referencing the previous post "If You're Happy and You Know it, Punish Yourself").

My friend is relying heavily on me to "rescue" her from a very, very sticky situation with major (and I mean major) implications for many individuals. She avoids all responsibility (all of it, when it is clearly almost entirely her fault!). She has more excuses for her situation than I thought possible. Everyone and everything is to blame, but not her - she's the innocent victim. Unfortunately, my brain can't wrap itself around that delusion. She's gone too far this time, and this situation has the potential of being severely damaging to many people. And though she seems to have orchestrated the whole regrettable scenario, she still pleads innocent! "You've got to help me!".

I have long suspected that my friend is a narcissist. I didn't mention this at my appointment, though; I just lamented my role in this whole affair, my limited power and resources, and yet how I'm suddenly made responsible for her entire life! (And not only by her, but by her awful narcissistic-and-then-some NM, who thanked me profusely for "taking care of" my friend the last time I had the misfortune of crossing her path. I insisted that I don't "take care of" my friend, I'm just her friend, but the NM insisted that I was the 'guardian angel' of her daughter, and always have been there for her, and always will be, and aren't I angelic...). What did my friend's NM just do there? Manipulation. Note the flattery, too. If you didn't see it the first time, read through it again. What she did was make me responsible for the welfare of her daughter. Why she did it was to let herself off the hook, which she has certainly done.

"Your friend is displaying some extremely narcissistic traits." my psychologist said. He rarely makes such pronouncements. I think he was worried that I might have missed the giant red flags, but I hadn't.

Over the course of the session, it dawned on me what's happening... my friend is the VICTIM. Her NM along with many other people are the PERSECUTORS. Me, the sucker, is being called upon at all hours of the day and night to RESCUE her.

Ah, that loathsome triangle again!

Here's the thing - I've been swapped into the PERSECUTOR role again already, back and forth from RESCUER, when I'm not able to rescue her (and sometimes within the same text message!). Which, for complex reasons that I'm beginning to understand, makes perfect sense: Narcissists who play the VICTIM don't WANT rescuing! They won't let you save them, and when you fail (which you invariably will; can't meet their high standards, and that bar will keep getting raised higher and higher if you do!), you'll be yet another PERSECUTOR to blame.

Narcissists can't (won't?) accept responsibility for their negative actions. And they don't want you to rescue them, 'cause it would make you 'better/stronger' than they are. All they want is exoneration and absolution, and to come out smelling of roses despite their misdeeds (or worse)!


*


But my therapy sessions are about ME, not my friend, and so I talked about how this made me feel, how I didn't think I could cope, and how all hope for my future was gone again.

For various complicated reasons, I found myself bawling into the night to my DH about how hard this whole 'journey' out of ACoN-hood was, and how I didn't think I could do it anymore.

I'll repent openly to you all and say that for a brief period, I considered going back to my NFOO.

I thought about how I was on "the inside", and I pictured a darkness and a faintly luminescent blue 'scaffolding', like you'd see at a construction site, filling that void. That scaffold, the cold, metal, empty framework, is my NFOO.

Then I envisioned just an emptiness inside, where the scaffold had been taken down. I realised that I had no 'structural rigidity' in me. Just a void. I imagined a fragile and hollow shell, like that of a sea urchin's.

shellhorizons.com

The scaffold before was flimsy, and maybe 'radioactive' would be a good description. It was harming me in ways I didn't necessarily notice at first, but it was still something to lean on.

I wanted to take the coward's way out, briefly, and return to my NFOO. I could know that they'd never change and they'd always be toxic, but still find a way to survive, right? I could just accept the abuse in exchange for the delusion of perceived psychological integrity, even if the scaffold was only an illusion and there wasn't any actual support, but my brain didn't have to know that.......

Just the idea of having SOME SUPPORT was psychologically easier for me than removing it all so that there is NO SUPPORT in me. Nothing! What can I lean on? What will prevent me from caving in and breaking into a million pieces like a brittle hollow shell? (A hollow chocolate Easter bunny crushed in shipping was the other imagery I thought of).

I said I was scared. Massively scared. I didn't think I could go on! I thought I'd be crushed tomorrow, now that I had disassembled the NFOO's scaffolding in my mind. There was nothing left to hold me up! Even the ricketiest structure of their 'support scaffold', which burns and poisons, was still easier than nothing, NOTHING at all!

I have rarely seen my psychologist look so excited and engaged. This might have been one of my lowest points, and it seemed as if it was his happiest.

"This is a very important realisation. You have realised that where loving parents were supposed to be, you instead received a twisted metal framework. Removing that, there is nothing left. You will always have this void. Now you have reached the grieving; you will need to properly grieve that emptiness inside where love was supposed to be."

I'm not entirely convinced that this is a good thing. I'm glad someone is, because it feels awful to be perfectly frank. And dangerous. Really, really unstable and dangerous.

"But that is what your mother wants you to believe. These are her thoughts now. 'Stay with the family, despite the damage we cause, and you'll be fine. Leave the family and you'll never make it. You'll be cursed and empty for the rest of your life. Empty. Hollow. Alone. Vulnerable'. Do you see how she'd have you believe that?"

Yes. I do. It's hard for me to differentiate between my thoughts, and beliefs my NM implanted in me from my infancy. I didn't realise that my self-doubt was mostly put there by NM.

This is rock-bottom. This is where I start rebuilding from. I asked him what I could ever do to be able to "function" as a human being? I haven't got any resiliency left. I haven't got much hope at all to speak of. He said, and I will say it was unsettling:

"You'll never fill that void. It will always be there. Always."

I can't help but think that I need something to fill that void. "No one wants to parent me now that I'm a married woman in my thirties! Not even my MIL! I really need someone to parent me!"

"No one's going to, you're right. You missed that. You'll never get it."

(Is it just me, or is this NOT reassuring?!). "But what am I going to do? I can't function this way! Psychologically, I'm frail! I'm going to crack up and shatter! I need something to help me gain stability!"

"Well. I guess we'll just have to do good work here, then." he said with a smile. 

Sometimes I think he must be disappointed with my lack of faith in the process of therapy. I don't really know what the end-point of therapy is meant to be, or what it can accomplish. I do know it's saved my life, it's saved my sanity, and that I am immensely thankful for it. If it weren't for therapy, I couldn't have distanced myself to "Low Contact" with my NFOO. I wouldn't have had the strength, I really wouldn't have. I would have tried, had messy relapses, and just made a pig's ear of the whole thing. I'd be mired in their misery, and more aware of the reality around me (thanks to reading about NPD online, and reading ACoN blogs!), but just as incapable of getting myself out. I might have been worse off, in a way. I'd have lost the ignorance that was a protective factor to one who can't escape an NFOO.

There was more in this session, related to my involvement with my NFriend, that I think is worth sharing. But I'll follow that up in another post.

Right now, I'm at "rock-bottom". I have to grieve.

"Now you see that you can't go back - to go back to your family is death, and really, you were 'dead' before when you were with them."

(I had told him that when I was fantasizing about going back to the NFOO, retreating and surrendering, that I pictured myself committing suicide in various ways (variations on a theme), and interestingly, at my parent's house. Not me and my DH's place, but their house. I believe my mind, however conflicted, knows that going back means dying alone, miserably).

"But you also have realised that there is an emptiness in you that will never be filled. You see that your parents never filled that void and never will. Not only is it too late, you now see that they are incapable of filling that hole. So you must move onwards, away from them."

I'm throwing a little rock-bottom party here at my place today. In attendance - just me and my inner child (and my DH, when he's back from work). You're all invited (in spirit).

From this point on, QG can't go back. Before I wouldn't go back, but apparently now I cannot go back (says the shrink). From this point on, I only go forward. Bleakly, it seems. Forward with a great big emptiness inside of me.

I'm having a wake to mourn the love that never was. Raise a glass of cheer to me, or enjoy a piece of chocolate and think of your friend Quercus. I'll think of all of you, too. But mostly of the unconditional parental love that never was, and the great big hole I have received as an inheritance.

21 comments:

  1. "You'll never fill that void. It will always be there. Always."

    Wow. I just told myself the very same thing for the very first time just days ago, it seems. This is uncanny.

    But for me, the words somehow WERE reassuring. I can't quite explain it - it's just the truth. It's me, it's who I am. Others have been here too - some good writers and artists, too. I no longer have to pretend everything's better than perfect, I no longer have to pretend things will be just fine at some point. The black hole will always be there, like a grain of sand in an empty shell - and just maybe, in time, there will be a pearl there.

    I don't know. It makes me so sad and black and weepy and THAT's progress because it's real, it's me.

    I'm joining your party. Let's celebrate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeehaw! I'm going to take your 'reassurance' as a good sign! ;-) My shrink thinks this is wonderful, so maybe you're just seeing what he sees and I'm not quite there yet!

      I do sense that it's a hopeful situation, though. Rock-bottom meaning I have no where else to go but up and out! (I get the feeling this is going to take work, though. So I'm being lazy and self-indulgent today before the work of tomorrow begins!). ;-)

      I'm glad you're joining the party! Celebrate small victories, n'est-ce pas? :-D

      Delete
    2. Also, I really like your implication that realization and acceptance of the "un-fillable void" can spur creativity. I like that a lot. :-)

      Delete
  2. I cannot imagine your pain - I guess I grew up alreading knowing that support didn't exist. You thought you had it. Who had it worse? It's all screwy.

    As far as how you build your own scaffolding - I had an image come to mind - you may not get that full internal skeleton, but I see your therapy work as possibly coating the inside of your fragile shell with a tough polyurethane glue. Like, pouring it in, and you (the shell) turning slowly around (therapy turning you around?) and the inside of your shell being coated with a an amazingly strong glue. Enough to hold you together forever.

    Different support, but support nonetheless. I wish you a fabulous pity party (they CAN be sort of fun, in a bubble bath/chocolate kind of way) and then, I wish you strength. Sounds like you're on the right road. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gladys!

      There's something about your comment that's gotten me thinking...

      I ALWAYS knew I didn't have actual support from my NFOO!

      It's difficult to explain! Yes, I'm with you - it was plain to see that my NParents didn't love me! I've always known that.

      But there was something that happened WAYYYYYY deep in my psyche this week. I think the best analogy is letting go of the side of the pool and treading water in the deep end!

      It was one of those psychological crutches I didn't even KNOW I was using! The empty framework, however empty and useless and flimsy, was PSYCHOLOGICALLY REASSURING!

      It's like I wasn't even aware that part of me hadn't let go of the edge of the pool. And then I did. And it got so much more scarier, despite the fact that I've been treading water my whole life.

      I wish I could find the right analogy!!! You know how some 'safety measures' are practically pointless but exist to reassure the public on a psychological basis? It's like that somehow. I just wanted to make it clear that I didn't even realise these 'safety measures' were still reassuring me until I got rid of them, too!

      It's not even pain, so much! I mean, apparently it should be GRIEF, but I think I've already mourned it.... so I'm using it as an excuse to be self-indulgent! :-D Why not, right?!

      :-) Thanks for the wishes!

      Delete
  3. Jeeze QG! I was about to post something eerily similar today, but couldn't get more than a couple sentences formed:

    I've washed away the mud and now I've got lots of empty holes. I don't like this, but I can't go back to them...can't help but feel like it's sort of lose-lose.

    So, I guess to fix my own perspective on things, rather than thinking that it's lose-lose (since this hole will always be here) I'm choosing to win, since now I get to rebuild myself (and FOC) from the ground up. Hell yeah to that.

    It looks like I'm in the same boat...hang on while I paddle over and crash your rock-bottom party!

    "So if you're too school for cool, And you're treated like a fool - You could choose to let it go. We can always, we can always party on our own" -Pink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes yes yes! Exactly the feeling!

      It's AWFUL, isn't it? But it makes my shrink happy (hopefully not 'cause he's seeing dollar signs! Ha ha!), so I'm going to take it as a good omen and 'have a little party'! ;-)

      There are precious few things to celebrate in the ACoN world, so why not this? The "turning point", apparently!

      I'm going to temporarily fill the void with chocolate, booze and fatty foods. ;-) It's like Mardi Gras before lent! ;-)

      Delete
  4. Dear Quercus,
    Crashing your party to give you a virtual hug, I wish I could give you the comfort you need. Know that you are not alone and that things will get better. Please take your time to mourn.
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rose! Welcome to the party! You're not crashing it at all! It's good to mark the occasion, have a little party, then move on tomorrow! ;-)

      Delete
  5. Dear QG, Man, I feel you so much right now, and I'm going to join your party too, if that's OK. In fact, I was having my own little party these past few days, and maybe it's nicer to do this together?

    First, I love what you said about letting go of the edge of the pool, and kind of panicking when you realize you let go a long time ago. I totally understand. Kind of like when your parents let go of your 2-wheeler, and you are doing good, until you look back and realize they aren't there...and then you panic. Even though you knew they weren't there all along, sometimes having the fantasy in your head helps. It's still hard to let go of the fantasy, even if it is just fantasy.

    This sucks. I've done this mourning thing, and grieving thing, and I think I move on. And then, something new comes along and I have to do it all over again. It doesn't hurt as much as the first time, but it still sucks.

    Gotta say, it's interesting to hear what your therapist has to say, but it is hard to hear. Kind of like giving up all hope.

    And you are not alone in thinking about "going back" to your FOO. I've had (and still have) those thoughts. Like just roll over and submit. But I've gone back, and gone back, and gone back. And it doesn't work. You are not a coward for feeling this way, just working at letting go.

    Someone once said that you can't unknow the truth, once you've seen it. You are not that same person you were before. You can't really go back. It'd be like trying to age backwards. You just can't remove what you've learned from your head.

    Hang in there dear, and know you are not alone. Reading this post today helped me to feel a little better an not so alone. One thing I will say: sometimes the road ahead of ACoN survival seems long, ominous, hard, and lonely. It it can take all you have to not turn and bolt. But if you really turn around and look at how far you've come, maybe that can give you hope.

    Healing isn't linear. It's peaks and valleys and a lot of damn heartache. But you are moving down that road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessie!

      Yes, you get it! The bike analogy is perfect!

      And yeah, I really have 'done' my grieving (I think/thought?!). ;-) So I'm having a 'party' because I feel like I need to mark the occasion somehow (no tears today, but that's not to say they aren't coming, I guess).

      I like this:

      "Healing isn't linear."

      I'm so glad you said so. I always assumed it was, and when it turned out not to be, I've been quite shaken by it. Now that you've put it in writing, it feels certain. :-) That's really helpful to me, thanks!!!

      So it sounds like I was right about there being 'lots of work tomorrow' as I drag my way up and out, eh? Thanks for giving me 'permission' to see it as a long, ominous and lonely path. I won't panic if it feels that way to me now! :-)

      Delete
    2. Sometimes I think you are too hard on yourself dear. Maybe you just need to worry about feeling your feelings, instead of if you should or shouldn't or that you will be letting anyone or yourself down if you feel a certain way. It is perfectly OK no matter how you feel, your responsibility is only in how you respond to those feelings.

      And for what it's worth, I've grieved. Thought I'd "done" it and then was surprised/pissed off/scared when new grief came along. Grief can come in waves. Mourning can come in waves. Just be gentle with yourself if it comes again.

      And just go at your own pace. I believe in you.

      Delete
  6. (((Hugs, QG)))

    I know this is hard, very hard. A character in a rather dumb movie (that I love anyway) said a rather profound thing, IMO.

    “You don’t confront your demons and defeat them. You confront them and confront them and confront them some more.”

    When I heard that, I recognized the truth of it, it’s probably why I actually like that movie. Is it an overwhelming thought? You bet. Do I want to confront my demons repeatedly? Not especially. Does it get easier? I think so, for me it has, gradually. I don’t think the demons go away, but they do get smaller.

    You mentioned a great emptiness that you feel now that the support structure that was your NFOO is gone. I completely get that and the fear of being empty and shattering all over the place without that “structure”; I feel that way too, but it’s getting better. It is a perfectly valid feeling and you should feel it (which of course I know you are doing and is part of what this post is about). It’s the only way we “confront” and eventually accept that emptiness.

    I do think your therapist is right, that emptiness will never be filled. It can’t, because we can’t go back in time and have a real childhood with functional parents.

    Then what, with the emptiness there constantly? Build up! This is how I think of it… One of the strongest structural shapes on earth is a dome. Prime example in architecture would be the Pantheon in Rome. It’s stood for 2000 years with continuous use. It was probably built with temporary scaffolding and the cement poured over the support structure. But, once the scaffolding was gone, it’s empty in side. Sure, people visit, but it is only supported and held up by its own structural integrity, there are no support columns; it just is.

    The way I see it, as an ACON, when the NFOO support is removed, our “cement” dome is very thin, like the exoskeleton of a sea urchin, as you referenced. It’s very scary to feel that fragile. I think we have to build ourselves up, not by filling the empty void with some other structure, because we can’t. But by pouring, little by little, new “cement” over the existing dome we can create new and stronger layers. We have to do it methodically and carefully, layer by layer, or the structure will shatter. My feeling is these layers are created when we truly grieve and eventually accept that our NP’s were unable to love and nurture us, as we needed them to. Then, learning who we are, who we want to be and staying true to our values.

    This is just how I’ve come to think of it, but I’m still learning and figuring this stuff out for myself, too. I’m glad you are seeing the narcissistic traits of your friend and her NM, but sorry you are realizing the dysfunction in that friendship. I’ve had a similar experience. It is very good that you recognized the roles they are trying to put you in and the manipulation by your friend’s NM. Hang in there, QG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love this. Thank you AS!

      Yes, Gladys said something similar that I really liked - coat it with polyurethane! It's a nice image, the coating, because new scaffolding wouldn't have much point, I guess (and it's not coming....).

      I guess.... you know, I really do BELIEVE that I will 'shatter and die'! It feels so REAL to me! Feeling vulnerable - that's all well and good, I guess, but if there's no end in sight, and there's no safety net, then... then it's panic-inducing!!!

      I really love this comment. It has such beautifully 'concrete' imagery (ha ha!). I also like your hint that new 'layers' have to be added on carefully because I am fragile. That's good to know. I'm not particularly gentle with myself at the best of times (thanks again, NM!).

      Maybe "rock bottom" isn't so bad! :-D I feel, well, exposed and kind of out of answers. But I know this is as empty as it gets (oh, I really, really hope it is an empty as it gets! Couldn't take more of this!).

      Thanks for the encouragement (thanks everyone for the encouragement!). I really like hearing how each of you have experienced this moment, and the differences between us. It feels less terrifying and more like a rite of passage.

      I'm really grateful for your insight, friends. :-) I just spew out my thoughts in the hopes that it might help others (as the blogs of others have helped me!), but I am always surprised just how much I get in return. Really appreciate all of this support. ;-) Thanks!

      Delete
  7. Hi Quercus!
    I'm bringing brownies and sherry to the party :) If it makes you feel better I totally identify with your feelings. Funnily enough I had a similar conversation with my friend in Lisbon, she's not an ACOA but and ACOA, and we where talking about not having a loving father. She said the same thing as your shrink "You'll never fill that void. It will always be there. Always." except that it was a WE instead of a you because she is in the same boat as fathers are concerned. I remember feeling like you did, like there was some sort of massive hole inside me that would never be filled. She seemed to have accepted and come to terms with this but her father died a few years ago so I guess she has already done her grieving, whereas we have not.
    When you think about it the fact the we have made this far without any support or resources from our FOO shows how strong we really are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I hadn't considered what I'd feel when my EF and NM die (assuming I outlive them!). Yeah, of course - mourning all over again.

      My psychologist also said I was "ADDICTED TO HOPE". That I keep hoping that my NFriend (and probably by extension, my NParents) will come around and grab hold of some responsibility and pull even a little weight. I guess he's implying that this is a stupid way to go about it! :-D

      I love brownies and sherry! Wonderful! Thanks, Kara. ;-)

      Delete
  8. When I let go of my fantasy and accepted my parents as they are, I was free. My struggle to finally do or say the right thing so they would finally love, support and respect me was over.

    After finally getting the balls to kick my NFOO outta my life, booting my "friends" was a piece of cake!

    Now I'm a lot more selective about who gets let into my small inner circle. I've never felt happier or safer in my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay! So maybe, since I've already done quite a lot of mourning on behalf of the little inner-child QG who got screwed over by her NParents, I'm not feeling sad because I'm feeling a mix of freedom and fear of freedom?

      The cage door has been swung open, and I'm terrified, but I'm free?! ;-)

      I like your words, "I was free!" It was "over"!

      And I also like knowing that now you feel happier and safer than ever before! THAT'S something I'll gladly work towards!!! :-D

      Delete
  9. Why I love the bottom? The only way I have to go is up. All the shit is cleared away and I can see what really is. It is familiar territory. When I land there again, I know the steps to head back up. Kind of nice to lay on my back and look at the stars. The empty void can be decorated beautifully. My sister and I love the quote, "The truth will make you free but first it will make you really miserable." The fact that you are writing this blog and this post is you survived. The worst happened, you are at rock bottom and you are having a party. You know you said in a comment to me that you think some of what I write is over your head. Hugs you will soon start to get it because I am writing about what happens when you start getting above rock bottom. You will get there too. The freedom I feel now of not trying to meet impossible standards that constantly changing is amazing once you get used to it. This is when we talk about baby steps, loving and supporting yourself, respecting yourself, and yea my counselor was also very excited when I got to this point. Let the healing begin. Zigzag or back and forth steps are just a cha-cha. Learning to dance in the rain is a beautiful thing. Do you like fudge? That is one of my favorites. I will gladly bring some along. By the way, you are not alone, it was a smoke and mirror illusion to keep you in the FOG. Its ok. You are doing awesome. Hugs all around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth, you are a wonderful woman, a purveyor of truths, and you always know exactly what to say to encourage! Thank you! I'm looking forward to my "Cha-Cha in the Rain"! (And fudge, too! How can one not love fudge?!). :-)

      "The truth will set you free, but first it will make you really miserable!" - Ruth & Sis.

      I thought that needed to be bolded. ;-)

      Delete
  10. Bringing the comfort foods and lots of hugs with my virtual self. :( I am so sorry. Sending all the love and comfort I can via spirit!

    ReplyDelete