Monday 5 November 2012

Stop the Voices! What my NM Might Hear in the Silence of NC

by Quercus, co-written by her "DH"

Why does my NM hate "No Contact" or "radio silence" from me? She hates me on many levels, that's quite obvious. I, as the SG, always assumed that she hates "No Contact" because:
  1. It reflects badly on her that she can't boast about what her daughter's doing to other people (someone's inevitably going to put two-and-two together, and NM won't be able to claim that she's the 'perfect parent' or that her and her eldest daughter are 'closer than close' if she can't produce new information!), and,
  2. How can she "out-do" me at being a woman if she doesn't know what she needs to beat?
  3. She thinks I'm secretly pregnant, as if she has a divine right to know what the contents of my uterus are! Think I'm making it up? When she shows up unannounced, she strains to see my stomach and comments on my waistline. And then she sends me reminders of her friend's grandchildren's existence.
But my DH, who is helping me write this post, has another theory: the major reason that my NM can't handle "No Contact" is that in the silence, she's forced to wonder if maybe she's made mistakes.

My NM (his NMIL) is not a sociopath (though she's close enough for our liking!). She actually does have a perfunctory conscience of some description (it's just not as robust as yours or mine), and just enough empathy to be really annoying; we know she knows she's doing wrong but wrestles with her limited conscience to do so anyway!

I was lamenting to my DH about how I'd like to scream certain 'zingers' at my NM and EF, pointing out the hideous logical inconsistencies and ironies of their claims of mistreatment by me, but that it's impossible to get them to really 'hear' my points! "What if I said it this way?" or, "What if all I reply with is, 'What, like your NF used to do to you?!'. She'd be hard-pressed to miss that point, right?!"

DH said this to me, which prompted the composition you're reading today:

"Your point is lost when you get upset because it draws the attention away from your legitimate concern. The argument ceases to be a logical scenario involving reason and becomes an emotional one. Your point is lost because your angry outburst is then happily seen as a defensive mechanism of your guilty conscience . . . or something, it doesn't really matter what your Mum thinks. Your reaction provides a major and tangible distraction from her own introspection - you are to blame if you lose your temper, not her. It prevents her from being left alone with her own conscience, while she's seeing you blow up."

Note that when he says, "Gets upset", he means a shouting match in person, as well as a snide retort in response to an email. So long as my NParents can spot 'anger' in me (which they will read into even the shortest sentence), I'm sunk - they can relax, because in their minds, I'm the one who is being unreasonable. DH has more to say, regarding my NM / his NMIL:

"And even her being left alone with her own conscience doesn't guarantee she's going to actually examine herself completely. But even a tiny shred of a conscience is going to challenge her much more strongly if she's left alone with it and not provided any distraction. It's the same phenomenon as when there are political debates; virtually no one changes their mind on the issue at hand, they just get more and more entrenched in their preexisting opinions. Your Mum isn't going to be forced to think through her involvement in this situation while your 'reaction' is acting as a diversion."

Now obviously I have a major bias when it comes to the wisdom of my DH - I think he's brilliant! But this explains so very much to me, I thought it important to share in case it fits with your situation, too. 

With my evil NGrandfather and my NM, their goal has always been, and seemingly will forever be, to make me cry or scream and yell. They want to rattle me into an outburst, and with my frayed nerves and their penchant for malevolence, it's not exactly hard for them to get me shrieking "Foul!" at the top of my lungs and/or sprinting from the room in tears. (If they don't get the pleasure of doing this in person, they'll settle for phone calls and email).

But with "Low Contact", and now the current state of affairs (which amounts to "temporary No Contact" for all intents and purposes), they have been denied the opportunity to distract themselves and/or assuage their guilt by causing me to blow like Mt St Helens.

My EF knows this, too. His job is, at any cost, to bring me to my NM. It reminds me of a fairytale or fantasy adventure - "Bring me the head of the escaped prisoner, and I shall give you her weight in gold and rubies!", sayeth the evil Queen.

DH and I think that the "radio silence" drives my NM batty because she's not being reassured that I'm the crazy one (no new blow-ups, no new allies in the form of witnesses to my blow-ups). She can't watch me get upset and feel whatever positive feelings or reassurance she gets from that.

Instead, she has to deal with whatever guilt and self-doubt she feels. I know from the literature I've read on NPD that she likely feels that crushing void of emptiness and self-hatred that they try to stuff full with "narcissistic supply". If I'm not there with my anger to make her feel like a big and influential person, if I'm simply ignoring her, the negativity must be intolerable.

(Going back to the "Pathological Triad" post - if I don't say or do anything, it's harder for her to make me into the 'persecutor' and see herself as the 'victim'). 

DH says that the best bet my NM has of ever seeing anything from my point of view, or of seriously critiquing her parenting skills, lies in the crushing silence of "No Contact".

I had told my NParents of my need for 'space' on several previous occasions, and it didn't sink in. So we discussed it with my shrink and sent in the big guns - an email from my DH telling them that they need to back off for the sake of my health and wellness. It was blunt, it was serious, and it was judiciously ignored by my pathetic parents.

Both of them had contacted me again (separately) within the week. EF is just pretending nothing's happened ("Did you catch the game last night? What a crock, eh? Ref must be blind!"), but NM is throwing everything she's got at me. I translated her recent message into the following:
"I don't give a crap about what you're going through (or you in general), though I'll say "I LOVE YOU" because I know it gets an emotional reaction. I can't refute your claims if you don't give me something to gaslight you about. I'm going to keep pretending this is the first time you've ever expressed a problem regarding our relationship, despite 30-something years to the contrary. What you are doing is unfair to me - I want what I want, and I'm never, ever going to give up until I get it, and I'm going to claim that it's LOVE that's driving me to do it! You are in the wrong, You are a horrible person, You are the Abuser, I am the Victim here, not you. You have no right to be pulling this crap! I feel sorry for myself. You should feel ashamed for what you are doing. I'm going to say "I LOVE YOU" again, though the structure of this message, and past history, does nothing to support that assertion. Oh, and you're breaking my heart."
Lovely. The 'breaking my heart' bit was left untranslated. It's their tag-line.

Can I just point out again that this was in response to a message from my DH to my NParents, telling them that I was having serious and distressing difficulties (suicidal thoughts, self-harm, major depression, physical illness, weekly visits to the Psychologist)?

Knowing this, does the structure of my NM's (translated) letter seem a little amiss? If it doesn't, you're an ACoN! I'll point out what a non-ACoN (my DH, my Psychologist) sees in this: the message does not show ANY LOVE TOWARDS ME. There is no concern for my safety. There is no concern for my happiness. There is no mention of my situation, apart from the opening line where she said, "I know you said you needed space, but I need to talk to you." The only reference to my situation was a segue to launch HER letter of "poor me, I'm the victim"!

ANY MOTHER who ACTUALLY LOVED her daughter would be PREOCCUPIED with HELPING her daughter in such a dire situation!

I can be sure this won't be the last of my NM's efforts to get me back 'under her thumb'. I may have bigger challenges to face than this. I can say that I feel less and less guilty about 'cutting her out' as days go by. I realise that, despite what she might claim (thanks to Mulderfan for pointing this out), she hasn't really got a heart to break. Or, she does, and it was broken years before I came into this world. It's not my responsibility to fix it. And if I tell her what she "did wrong" so that she can, pardon my laughter, "fix it" (i.e. dismiss my complaint outright!), she's not going to learn a single thing, as usual, and she's going to go right back to her comfortable cycle of parasitizing me rather than facing her own demons.

Going "No Contact" induced quite a lot of guilt for me in the beginning. Now I see it is the only way forward for me and my family (that's me and the DH). It's like an amputation - no one wants to have to lose a part of them, but if it's going to kill you, well, you gotta do what you gotta do. Amputate, grieve, rehabilitate in the proper sense of the word, and adapt. There's a life left to live after this.

18 comments:

  1. "ANY MOTHER who ACTUALLY LOVED her daughter would be PREOCCUPIED with HELPING her daughter in such a dire situation!" this made laugh out loud, yes, indeed, any mother that's not a NM. NMothers would use a situation like this to feel sorry for themselves (just like your one is doing) and campaign for sympathy. It is always about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha, it wasn't exactly subtle, was it? :-D

      Some things need to be pointed out again and again to me to get them to sink in. I think this was mostly me thinking aloud.

      It's very true, though, isn't it? I mean, you can hear "It is always about them" a million times, but sometimes you need examples to really drive the point home! ;-)

      IT IS ALWAYS, EVER, ABOUT THEIR NEEDS. Not yours. If they happen to overlap, great! If not, tough sh*t! You're not going to get what you need.

      Another thought worth putting in capital letters is:

      THE PARENT IS MEANT TO SELF-SACRIFICE FOR THE CHILD. NOT the other way around!!!

      If you can't give of yourself completely, if having a kid 'cuts into' or 'disrupts' your precious lifestyle (which you would rather keep), then DON'T HAVE CHILDREN! There's no LAW that says you have to procreate! There's plenty of fantastic reasons to NOT have kids! So why do it?!

      (I'm all inflamed because I've been reading a comment thread based on some of the HORRID LIES spewed on the 'estranged parent' forums! It's SICK! SICK I tell you!). :-)

      Delete
  2. I really shouldn't egg myself on like this, but I'm going to....

    Does anyone else fantasize about injecting sodium thiopental (truth serum) into a group of estranged NPD-parents and asking them why they REALLY had children? What their motivation was?

    Perhaps I'm too curious for my own good. I can't even speculate as to what responses we'd get. Would they know they did it to have someone to control, or is that just conjecture on our part (and psychologists') after the fact? I'm really interested in finding out why.

    Maybe we need to send a 'mole' into the parental forums and try to find out why. The only problem is that they'll be saying what they think makes them sound good, not the truth....

    My best guesses as to why they had kids:

    1. Biological urges in the absence of thought.
    2. To try to get NF or NM to love them by providing them new victims, err, grandchildren.
    3. To out-do a friend, sibling or the Joneses.
    4. Fear of dying; posterity.
    5. To produce more 'mirrors' of themselves in the world - to multiply themselves so they have a larger presence in the world.

    Yuck. If anyone knows of any actual research done to find out the motivations of people who have children, versus the motivations of people with NPD and other personality disorders who have kids, please let me know! So curious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my opinion (and what I've seen from parents both narc and not narc) these are some of the 'reasons' people have kids when they shouldn't:

      1. They are bored 2. They don't know what to do with their lives and think this is the "next step 3. They want to make the "grandparents" happy 4. They want to be the golden child by producing grandchildren 5. They like the attention they get from being pregnant and having a small infant 6. To produce someone to "love them unconditionally" 7. To keep a spouse happy

      Delete
    2. My DH's Sister and BIL are nice enough, but teeter on the "N" side (by virtue of being wholly self-absorbed, not cruel). They frequently pipe up that they're "the best" (no, that's really the wording they use!) because they, and I quote, "were the first to provide (parents) grandchildren!".
      I remember not quite knowing what to say . . . I really thought them quite, quite weird. What are they going to do when they're the ones with scaly teenagers? Brag about having the moodiest kids? ;-)
      I think people who are very superficial really do like the attention having kids gets them. I can't imagine a more labour-intensive (pun intended) way to get attention, but there you have it!

      Delete
    3. My SIL had kids to compete with me, get attention for being pregnant, be able to eat all she wanted when pregnant, get attention for her cute kids, and try to beat me to the punch at providing the first grandchild, despite NMIL's "directions" that DH and I were to have the first grandchild. (Why, the hell, it mattered to her that we have the first grandchild is weird to me. Something fucked up in her head, as I suspect she had intentions of making my son the GC, long before he was even born.)

      Anyway, now SIL is bored with her kids. She does everything she can to find other things to do and pawns them off on the grandparents. It breaks my heart for those kids. She told me recently that she was getting involved in (athletic activity) because now that she isn't having any more babies she "needed something to do." Really?!? You mean, taking care of the two "babies" you have now, doesn't keep you busy enough?!?

      Oh, and NMIL's favorite phrase is "the best". Drives me insane and is a running joke with DH and I. Everything she likes is "the best!!" Blech.

      Delete
  3. "Radio silence" drives them wild because it puts you in control. They sure as hell don't use the time to reflect on THEIR behaviour. Why should they? They're perfect!

    My NPs had kids because it was a societal expectation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I was going to say, haha. When you choose to go no contact, then it is in your control not theirs. And if your parent was like mine, she used the silent treatment to control me. So if you're doing that to her it must drive her mad, LOL. My parents had kids because it just happened.

      Q's Sis

      Delete
    2. My grandmother (non-N, but my psychologist suggests perhaps she's verging on it!) said the same thing; "I had kids! Your Mum had kids! You have to have them, too!" (angry, shouty voice)!

      I'm not sure my generation has the same pressures, though. I sure hope it's changing - people should only have children because they really, really want to raise them up and launch them as happy, whole people into society to carry on the species! ;-)

      Delete
  4. Radio silence! Brilliant!

    I wonder if this is why when I do get pushed to furious, my demeanor changes to this tightly controlled cold simmer. I don't yank it out often, but it's always been narcissists that bring it out. And I usually scare the shit out of them. It's almost like I tap into their secret self-fears and loathing and freeze them with it. I don't like it when I do it, but I kind of also do. Which is why I'd rather avoid narcissists than become their ugly mirror.

    But I think from the last couple exchanges with my mother, she prefers the silence even if it makes her squirm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VR, "tightly controlled cold simmer." I would bet that is what my husband means when he says I can be "scary" to people sometimes. But it's always the damn narcs that I get this way with too. That gives me lots to think about.

      Delete
    2. Oooh, can you teach me how to do that?! :-D How nice would it be to have that trick in your arsenal?!

      Delete
    3. The one and only time my NF told me he was proud of me was when I got pregnant. Of course, that went right out the window when I gave birth to (gasp) a girl.

      Delete
  5. I think going NC or even LC pisses them off because it takes away their control. I think that many dysfunctional behaviors, whether addiction or personality disorders, etc, are about control. My feeling is addiction is generally control turned mostly inward, an attempt to control your own feelings and pain, by not feeling them. N-ism is control turned inward and outward. They try to control everything about themselves and anyone around them, as extensions of themselves. I base this theory on my own experience with my NPs and my 14-year marriage to an addicted ex-H, I’m sure there are different experiences out there, but that is how I see it.

    My H and I have installed LC boundaries, and now she’s gone pathetic on us. Some NM’s will knock it up a notch to try and break down the boundary, as we see with your NM, Quercus, and upsi’s NM, though they all bring out the pity card at some point. (You’re breaking your mother’s heart, etc.) My NM doesn’t SAY that to me about LC, she just gets all “sad” about “missing” me. And maybe there is a part of her that does, in some way. I don’t think it’s just the supply she’s missing either, she gets plenty of that from her new D-IL (who calls her “Mom” and who my NM calls “Daughter”. Gag me. Oh, and did I mention I was the only sibling not invited to their, albeit small, wedding?) She became the ignoring type after I was 5 or 6, but we were seriously enmeshed for the first few years, I was all she had, since my dad left us before I was born. And that enmeshment still carries over, I think. It is not healthy, but I think that is as close as she’s gotten to feeling love for me, and maybe it feels like love to her, though it’s not.

    I have not yet received a letter, which is surprising, as my NM has done this with other family members and friends she has had “problems” with. I guess I don’t warrant one? I’m not saying I WANT one, but she has never done this with me, even the last time I went actual NC with her. Maybe after the holidays, which I plan to spend with my in-laws, and not my NFOO. But, maybe they just won’t really care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CONTROL really is the right word, isn't it?! Good call! And interesting insights on the inside/outside bend. That's neat. Sad, but neat. I'm sorry again about your ex. How sad for everyone involved. :-(

      Hmmm, interesting! I wonder if your NM has sort of cast you as the "GC" in some ways? Like you can 'do wrong', but she'll 'overlook it' (as opposed to the SG, who would get nothing overlooked?). I say this only because it does seem very odd that she hasn't gone on the offensive with you entirely...! What you say about being "all she had" when she was abandoned by your father - I do wonder if you've hit on something important there. So interesting.

      I wonder if she's trying to make you jealous with your SIL. My NM's done that move (many years ago now). It was pretty covert; everything was inferred, nothing outright aggressive. At that time, I was mostly ignored. But she soon 'enmeshed'/'engulfed' me again, and then she got nasty, nasty, nasty. A war-like state of affairs. She'll capture me if it's the last thing she'll do!

      Ever since I posted that "Pathological Triad" post, I seem to have my friend's words replaying in my mind - 'They'd rather KILL or DIE than lose their stable pathological triad!'. The desperation for control is obvious. The purported 'love' isn't. All I can think is that they can't handle having the boat rocked. Maybe if you start rocking the boat, she'll launch an assault?

      I'm glad you haven't received a letter. They always hurt more than you anticipate they will (at least, it is that way for me). ;-)

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Quercus, I’m glad I haven’t received a letter too. I can only imagine how painful it is for you and our fellow ACON’s that have received them.

      She may be trying to make me jealous with my SIL. But, my sense is she is cozying up to her for the reflection on herself, and has very little to do with me. SIL is a talented artist (her work has no soul in my opinion, but its technically beautiful). “Look who my son married and who thinks so highly of me!” I’ve seen her do this to other artists that she meets. She wastes no time trying to associate herself with people she deems as “super creative”. Not sure why that particular aspect of someone is so important to her, but it’s a pattern. You would think she would do the same with my art, but it’s apparently not good enough. Uh, big surprise there...

      Yeah, there is a weird GC/SG dynamic in my particular situation. I was the GC until my N-stepfather came along, of that I have no doubt. I’m still the GC to my maternal grandparents. With my mom, I swing between the two roles, even now.

      Since I was all she had in the beginning, I think she relied on my childhood unconditional love to sustain her, emotionally. I remember it being very hard for me to be away from my NM, yet it being painful at the same time. I was much too young to remember why that was, but I suspect that she laid out all her own tough emotions about the abandonment, her insecurities on me and my psyche. I absorbed all her pain, like a good little SG, but I received “love” for it, so a little GC treatment at times. I have been told from the beginning about what my father did and his abandonment and I remember hearing about him in a negative light since as far back as I can remember. Now, it is clear NM, and probably my grandmother, told me way too much about him and his issues before I was old enough to interpret. I think her enmeshment at this time is what may have driven me to suicidal ideation at such a young age, as I have commented about previously.

      Once NSF was in the picture, I suddenly couldn’t do anything right and I was “overly emotional” and defective. My NM bought what he was selling, and that made way for the GC (my half-brother, though I don’t think of him as “half”). I think the message I got from this series of events was “Here’s all the pain and difficulty life has to offer. Deal with it. You can’t? Then, something is wrong with you.”

      The absurdity of this astounds me. Expecting a 5-6 year old (geez, I don’t think this burden should be put on a 18 year old!) to figure out how to deal with adult painful life events and then told they are “messed up” when they can’t. It’s completely ridiculous!

      Delete
    3. Oh AS! How awful for you! You had to deal with adult problems that, frankly, I'd have trouble emotionally navigating in my 30s, when you were barely in grade school?! That's absolutely sickening.

      You touched on something that seems very important (at least, I've seen it crop up here and there in my NPD reading) - the expectation of the N's that an infant, a child, a teenager, should be treated "as an adult"!

      I haven't talked about it much (because it upsets me), but a good friend of mine from grade school days has become a narcissist, plain and simple (like her NM). Being her friend isn't a picnic, but thankfully she's not cloying or clingy or anything like that, so the friendship 'functions'. But ever since she had a child, my view on my friend has changed. She talks to her pre-verbal infant like an adult. She jokingly attributes adult motivations to her actions (which is funny at first, but it's constant - it's become a red flag to me). Worst of all, she comments negatively about the chubby figure of her child (it's a BABY!), and has also admitted to me, several times, that she's jealous of the attention the baby gets from men.... this scares the hell out of me.

      Anyway, the point I was trying to make is that, somehow, narcissists seem incapable of seeing children as children!!! I honestly don't think they understand that there are enormous differences in an adult person versus a baby-toddler-child-youth-teenager-young adult!

      I don't know why this is, but it comes up again and again - if you did something bad or wrong as a child, it was intentional and was meant to upset your parent (says them). It's like they are incapable accepting that children have different needs, thoughts, abilities! It really is the weirdest thing.

      Anyone have any thoughts on WHY N's fail to treat/view children in an age-appropriate manner?

      Delete
  6. Stay strong. Just remember you don't want your family and children to be exposed to the same things you endured for the entirety of your childhood.

    I've been NC with my Nparents for a year now and it gets better. I received several letters eerily similar to the contents of the letter you posted, leading up to a letter that my Nmother actually said on paper that she wished me and my son were dead because she would rather us be dead than walking around without her. (She was of the Engulfing N variety that thought I shouldn't be able to breath without her input.) The woman subsequently sent a letter of 'apology' but strangely REPRINTED AND INCLUDED the previous letter with the 'apology' as an amendment of sorts before she dove into a holier-than-thou speech about how God knew she was doing it out of the right motivation and that she would be rewarded in Heaven one day. I laughed when I got that letter. I called my husband (who has been great through all of this and was the first one to really point out the N abuse to me) and we laughed until we were crying. The writing, the structure of the letter, the attitude and rambling... It came across as exactly what she is- mentally deranged.

    That's the last letter I got from her and that was back in April. She's done a few more things, but I've held strong to the NC for my son's sake, and my sanity. Many many ((HUGS)) it is hard, heartbreaking, eye-opening, and healing all at the same time to move through this process. I am glad you had the strength to enact it. Stay strong. Listen to your husband... sounds like he's a great guy and has a good sense of the truth of all of it!

    ReplyDelete